Samantha Orobator facing the death penalty

if someone wants drugs legalised then in my opinion they are either doing thm themselves or dealing them. This giirl knew what she was doing when she smuggled the drugs into that country, so why should they be nice to her?Like i said before we are to lenient in this country we shouild follow example of other countries. This girl was found with drugs on her in my opinion that makes guilty so she should be dealt with accordingly.

Yeah, the dealers would really want drugs to be legalised wouldn't they. Think about it Bladegirl:rolleyes:

why should drugs be legalised? all they are addictive and people can d ie from them. apart from the other side effects also. Why would you want drugs legalised? if you are not using them like you say you're not what beenfit would this have to you?

Just off the top of my head one of the most attractive benefits would be a major reduction in acquisitive crime - burglary, theft from cars, mugging and so on. Isn't that a good reason?

Not to mention the massive revenue that could be gained through taxation and the improvements in education about drugs and treatment for those who become addicted.

Edited by Halibut

why should drugs be legalised? all they are addictive and people can d ie from them. apart from the other side effects also. Why would you want drugs legalised? if you are not using them like you say you're not what beenfit would this have to you?

Tobacco is addictive, legal and people die from it.

Alcohol is addictive, legal and people die from it.

There are many other 'legal' drugs that are addictive and people die from them.

Where do you draw the line between legal and illegal? Under what criteria would you, personally, determine what should be legal and what should not?

And as for punishment - this woman, so I understand, faces the death penalty. You state that we, in the 'too lenient' UK should follow suit. So, again, what crimes should come with the death penalty?

You seem to live in a very black and white world.

And, the question of legalising drugs is not so that more people can become addicted - it is so that the distribution can be controlled, so that the use can be regulated and, if you're cynical, so that govt's can raise further tax.

By if you only look at the ground immediately after your feet you will never, ever see the bigger picture.

never mind this jurisdiction, the United Kingdom - that's irrelevant. This woman's crime was committed in a part of the world where the overwhelming majority of people support heavy sentences for drug users, dealers, and traffickers, including the death penalty.

the dope-smokers-of-the-world-unite chorus is hollow and juvenile. It might get a positive response in a bar on West St, but it'll go down like a lead balloon in Vientiane.

bottom line is, as this girl ought to have known, is DON'T MESS ABOUT WITH DRUGS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA.

because if you do, powerful people are going to want to kill you.

never mind this jurisdiction, the United Kingdom - that's irrelevant. This woman's crime was committed in a part of the world where the overwhelming majority of people support heavy sentences for drug users, dealers, and traffickers, including the death penalty.

the dope-smokers-of-the-world-unite chorus is hollow and juvenile. It might get a positive response in a bar on West St, but it'll go down like a lead balloon in Vientiane.

bottom line is, as this girl ought to have known, is DON'T MESS ABOUT WITH DRUGS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA.

because if you do, powerful people are going to want to kill you.

Sorry, but it's not irrelevant to the flow of this topic, especially in the eyes of some posters who advocate the death penalty for all drug smugglers and drug pushers wherever they are caught in the world (i.e. the UK).

In the case of the woman caught smuggling in Asia, who happens to be pregnant, it's more complicated than just smuggling drugs. Sure, the offence is clear, in terms of what will happen if you are caught smuggling drugs, but is it right that either an unborn child is also killed for a crime committed by it's mother or that it should be born and then immediately deprived of its mother because it's mother committed a crime?

Then there are those whose attitude is very draconian and simplistic - 'hang 'em all, drug smuggling scum'. I wonder why such a drastic and abhorrent stance is taken.

I ask the question and the silence is deafening. I guess, when it comes to justifying a point of view, they cannot.

the Lao haven't executed anyone for twenty years. In common with most Asian countries at the moment, there's a moritorium on the death penalty there. Besides, they've already said that a pregant woman will not be sentenced to death.

there are those whose attitude is very draconian and simplistic - 'hang 'em all, drug smuggling scum'

if you have a problem with that, don't bother whingeing about it to a bunch of Brits on a forum, but take it up with the Lao or Thai people instead, who I assure you think that the sentences given down by their courts, paid for by them with their tax money, are if anything too light. The extra-judicial Thai 'war on drugs' in which an estimated 2,500 people were murdered extra-judicially just a few years ago, was overwhelmingly popular with ordinary people, provided it wasn't their relatives that were gunned down in the street by the police in front of their neighbours and associates - guilty or not.