Labour Victory...

Originally posted by mojoworking

Anti-Labour people will gloat about the reduced majority of course, but the bottom line is, the other parties couldn't get enough votes to challenge Labour. Better learn to live with it

Depends on how you look at the figures,- the tory plus lib-dem percentage of the vote is 55.7% to Nulabour's 36.3% with 26 seats still to be declared. Not what I'd call a mandate. ;)

And I suspect that many of the dissenters are anti-Nulabour, rather than anti-Labour.

Originally posted by Greybeard

Depends on how you look at the figures,- the tory plus lib-dem percentage of the vote is 55.7% to Nulabour's 36.3% with 26 seats still to be declared. Not what I'd call a mandate. ;)

And I suspect that many of the dissenters are anti-Nulabour, rather than anti-Labour.

There is no Lib Dem/Tory coalition and we don't yet have PR in Britain, so the first part of your post is a red herring.

You can bend the figures any way you like, but Labour got more votes than the other parties, so they won the election. End of story.

Sour grapes anyone?

What a fantastic result for Labour - a historic third term. Maybe not the ringing endorsement of Tony Blair but certainly full approval of Labour's policies. The tories merely winning back those seats they should never have lost in the first place.

Particular congratulations to John Grogan in Selby! :thumbsup: You may never have heard of him but a lot of Sheffield folk put in a lot of effort to secure his seat. Well done us. :clap:

If a two party state like the U.S. can't even elect a leader by a majority popular vote, what chance have we got with so many no-hopers splitting the opposition?

If you mutliply the vote percentage by the turnout, it turns out Labour has between a fifth and a quarter of the available votes, yet they return to parliament with a fairly healthy majority.

Of course, the same system favoured the other crowd when Thatch was in power, but yet again we see the majority voting against the government, and the government still wins.

Originally posted by dandy

As opposed to more unemployment for manufacturing, lower taxes (for the rich) and a completely unworkable policy on immigration from the Tories?

Job well done indeed...

Well said :thumbsup:

Originally posted by mojoworking

Sour grapes anyone?

Not sour grapes about the result, it was predictable; but certainly the system leaves a bad taste.

As a pensioner I've nothing to fear from any of them, they all have to carefully avoid alienating the 'grey vote'. :P