Rate the last book you read

Wolf to the Slaughter by Ruth Rendell. An early Wexford story which I was surprised I hadn't read before. It was good but dated.

A wreath for Rivera by Ngaio Marsh. A satisfyingly convoluted detective story.

Dead Tomorrow - Peter James - Not up to the usual standards of his Roy Grace novels.

Outrage by Arnaldur Indridason.

Brilliant addition to his series of Reykjavik murder mysteries. This was a departure from his previous ones as the usual main protagonist doesn't appear and instead one of his detective colleagues leads the hunt. Imagine Lewis without Morse or Burden without Wexford.

Drug rape, murder and revenge against a cold background.

My early New Year Resolution is to read 52 books by next Christmas. I know many of you will ask, 'is that all?' But to me and my sluggish eyes, that's quite an achievment.

So here goes then:

Number 1/52

Terry Pratchett - The Colour Of Magic. 6/10. A good start to the Discworld series, though a few amatureish plot holes and reusing of the same phrases showed Pratchett's inexperience. Good to know he's fallible.

2/52

Stephen King - Cell. 3/5.

This is the first King novel I've read and I wasn't impressed initially. The writing seemed amaturish and he seems to have no dimmer or self editing, just saying anything that comes to him even if it seems daft. By about 1/2 way through though, I was hooked and I couldn't put it down.

My early New Year Resolution is to read 52 books by next Christmas.

Some advice, but why a particular number? Why not just "read more", or "read different books". Giving yourself 1 book per week means you might rush a book that you wish to linger over, or not read a bigger book because it'll take more time than you've given yourself. I've read some of my books 2-3 times within a year, and improved myself vastly just by doing that.

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes

Gripping, compulsive and tense. I would say that I couldn't put it down, but actually I HAD to put it down to relieve the tension. Not a comfortable read , but a mostly very believable well written book, with a great climax.

The House of Silk. The new Sherlock Holmes story by Anthony Horowitz.

Not bad addition to the Holmes canon. Written very much in the style of the originals. An entertaining, fast paced story but without much depth.

HG Wells' War of the Worlds, classic! Got it from the Library today, 10/10.

Bones To Ashes - Kathy Reichs - Decent entry in the Tempe Brennan series.

girl with the dragon tattoo- 7/10 decent read and leads you onto wanting to read the follow up books.