Rate the last book you read

Blood on the Tongue by Stephen Booth. Murder mystery set amongst familiar places in The Peak District.

Sounds worth a read. "Report for Murder" by Val McDermid (then still V.L. McDermid, it was her first book) is also set in the Peaks. Decent enough whodunnit although there are better books in the genre, including by McDermid.

The Secret Intensity of Everyday Life - William Nicholson, beautifully written, so much so that I re read several paragraphs just for the enjoyment of the prose. Loved it.

Ian Rankin writing as Jack Harvey - Blood Hunt.

Entertaining and quite fun, but predictable and by the numbers. Ex SAS warrior avenges death of brother with various set piece situations. Not Ludlum, not Forsythe.

The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland. Murder, mystery, paganism and religion in the dark ages.

Very good but I felt myself wanting to skip to the end to find out what happens. In one way that means you care about the outcome but in another way it means you are getting bored with the writing.

The Devil's Edge by Stephen Booth.

One of the better of his series of detective novels set in the Peak District. The relationship between DS Fry and DC Cooper that was becoming increasingly tiresome in earlier novels plays very little part in this story of petty rivalries, jealousy and envy played out in a picture perfect village.

I love all the references to familiar landmarks and places.

Playing with Fire by Peter Robinson.

Not a bad detective story but it drifted halfway through when it became obvious who the villain was. Also, procedural detective stories are OK as long as they are faithful to the character and story...when they go off at a tangent with people doing out of character things it tends to diminish what story and plot has gone on before.

I've got another of his to read then I'll decide whether it's worth the effort searching out any more of his books.

The Last Werewolf and Talulla Rising, both by Glen Duncan

Both really good.

Friend of the Devil by Peter Robinson

Not a bad detective story, very gripping but let down by a silly and implausible finale.

Friend of the Devil by Peter Robinson

Not a bad detective story, very gripping but let down by a silly and implausible finale.

If you want to read a top quality detective story, look no further than the writer's section of this very forum!

The 'Budgie of the Bolehills' (by Sir Alco Coalan Doil) is a spine splintering, roller-coasting masterpiece of a whodunnit, and is no way 'silly and implausible'! :thumbsup: (contains minor swear words)

just started second book by daniel silva love em intend to read all his spy novels

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

10/10

The best book I have ever read.

Got into my reading a bit more lately and have recently read:

The Great Gatsby - great book, a classic. 9/10

Life of Pi - cant make my mind up about this one?! Think I liked it??!! 7/10

1984 - another classic which I enjoyed. 8/10

Starter for Ten - bit more lighthearted! Humorous, easy read. 8/10

Sister - bit of a page turner; liked it. 8/10