Whatever happened to Irvine Patnick?

What a shame Sir Irvine was never made leader of the Conservative party during his time as an MP. He is the best leader they never had. Things would have been very different had he been leader instead of John Major.

http://toryclubsyorkshire.co.uk/images/100_0032.jpg

Edited by slimsid2000

are irvine and phillip still around,havnt heard anything about them for years.

I well remember Patnick's double-fronted junk shop on Langsett Road, and old Aaron at the counter.

In the 50s and into the 60s he used to stock a lot of army surplus equipment, all sorts of stuff, you could see many a khaki haversack around the district that was bought there.

are irvine and phillip still around,havnt heard anything about them for years.
Former M.P. Irvine is still going strong at 80 and lives with his wife Lynda and daughter Suzanne at Beauchief. As far I know Philip, five years younger, still lives in his bungalow not far away.

Sir Irvine comes

the people cheer

we'll keep the blue flag

flying here.

i used to know irvine patnick when i was a small girl in the late 60s my mum used to clean the offices for himself and his brother,it was on shales moor next to a pub i forget the name of.

it was a estate agency, they arranged my first ever mortgage with the chesire building society in 1966, i cant remember his first name but he used to commentate on the the hospital radio when the owls and the blades were playing at home.

Edited by closer 88

No more heroes any more, no more heroes any more - what ever happened to Sir Irvine?

Edward the youngest brother is the owner and has run Patnick's Junkerama for many years since his father Aaron retired .Phillip , a true gent and wit ,helps out .Sir Irvine is still alive and well but retired from active politics .

abi.

Isn't he quite a high ranking Freemason?

Approx late 50's the Patnicks I knew had an office on a narrow street behind the Cathedral, I thought there were two brothers and one was called Philip, it was my understanding they were estate agents and also represented the Cheshire Building Society, in-fact I believe you could make mortgages payments there also. I happened to be at the office one day when a bailiff of some description came to repossess a car one of them owned, it might have belonged to the other guy not Philip. It was a bit embarrassing to be there at that particular moment, anyway they rustled up some money and payed the collector and he left. I thought, not good to be there at that time if you were there as a potential customer.

You post that as though being in the secondhand business is somehow shameful?

However, I don't think Irvine ever actually worked in the business. His father was the orginal, Philip opened Junkerama. Irvine worked for Eversure Textiles in the seventies when he was still a SC Councillor, before he scaled the dizzy heights to Parliament :D... and I know this, how?

I used to work there too.

ps I don't think "sic" is shorthand for "is my spelling correct" :D

hiya i remember irvine patnick along with his brother helping on their fathers stall in the old rag and tag market in the 1940s, there was a chap called collie or colly who had a book stall, and a mr khan who had a material stall there also.

Sir Irvine,

They don't make them like that any more. A son of Sheffield from humble but hard working origins. A dapper gent and a character with his broad striped shirts.

Totally approachable and down to earth. There are some anecdotes about him and from him in the best book ever written about Sheffield politics- The Tomb of the Unknown Alderman by a Labour chap called John Cornwall.

hi all.. my first time on this forum, so i hope you don't mind.

was watching the world cup final, so i have got one eye on here and one on the other plus ears.

at the time in 1989, how did the sheffield folk react to mr patnicks comments and the sheffield star? and how did you react after it was realised the info given out to the press was based on information received from elsewhere?