Sheffield City Council pay and grading review

I am a TA and have been for 26 years. When I first came into this profession my contract stated that I was paid for 1265 hours worked over 195 days (39 weeks). I did not decide these terms and conditions, we fought long and hard, using strike action, to achieve similar terms and conditions to teachers. I was never paid for 52 weeks, my salary was worked out on the above formula and paid equally over 52 weeks. After School workforce reforms in 2004 the new contracts were imposed and protection was granted to those on the old contracts while they remained in the same school. The Unions did not agree to this two tier system, neither did we. All new staff from 2004 were then put immediately on the new contracts and had the salary paid pro-rata to my rate. This saved the Council lots and also created bad working relations with staff. Maybe the Pay and Grading should unite staff by bringing up the people on the new contracts rather than make people who are on the old contracts and who have given good service for years loose money. All TAs are poorly paid for the service they give to schools and the pupils. Many of us are teachers on the cheap, and now it seems even cheaper. Why should level 3s stand infront of whole classes delivering lessons (which should have been pre-prepared by the teacher but invariably never is) prepared by themselves and yet take home only a fraction of a teachers salary.This is delivering to the same children as the class teacher with the same problems and disruptions as the class teacheer would face. Again we never agreed to this being in our job description and I feel we are being abused by schools on a regular basis in order to balance budgets.

Well said Flufflybunny.

Has anyone else heard that the long awaited letters are now not being delivered on said date after all..? Our Head had a phone call from Human Resources this afternoon.

URGENT UPDATE ON PAY AND GRADING

We have encountered major problems with the data base that underpins the pay and grading process within Children’s Services. The data is corrupting as it transfers across and we have not been able to rectify this in time. We could have sent letters to you as planned but this would have contained significant inaccuracies.

Therefore, we have decided NOT to send out letters to employees in Children and Young People’s Directorate (including schools) on 24 January as originally planned.

The current advice we are receiving suggests that the delay will be approximately two weeks.

Please can you inform your employees as soon as possible today that they will not now be sent the letter this weekend. We will also write to people individually explaining to them what has happened. We will inform them along with you what the revised timescale is as soon as it has been confirmed.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience or upset that this decision may cause. I ask for your continued support and understanding as we work through these challenging times.

Yours sincerely

It seems that Sheffield is in good company

835 City of York Council staff appeal pay change

http://www.thepress.co.uk/news/4048505.835_City_of_York_Council_staff_appeal_pay_change/

LABOUR councillors have called for council leader Bob Bibby to quit after almost 4,000 ‘pay’ letters were sent out to staff by mistake.

Bury Council spent £5,000 on letters telling staff they would be dismissed on March 31 if they did not agree to a new pay scale. Anyone who did agree to the new terms, as set in the pay and grading review carried out last year, would be immediately re-employed on April 1.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/burytimes/4047507.___Resign____call_to_council_leader/

We have encountered major problems with the data base that underpins the pay and grading process within Children’s Services. The data is corrupting as it transfers across and we have not been able to rectify this in time. We could have sent letters to you as planned but this would have contained significant inaccuracies.

Therefore, we have decided NOT to send out letters to employees in Children and Young People’s Directorate (including schools) on 24 January as originally planned.

The current advice we are receiving suggests that the delay will be approximately two weeks.

Please can you inform your employees as soon as possible today that they will not now be sent the letter this weekend. We will also write to people individually explaining to them what has happened. We will inform them along with you what the revised timescale is as soon as it has been confirmed.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience or upset that this decision may cause. I ask for your continued support and understanding as we work through these challenging times.

Yours sincerely

So we wont find out on Monday??? This is getting beyond a joke now! How many chuffing delays has there been on this whole process now, it's ridiculous!

Yours sincerely

Same old story, those at he chalkface are expected to perform miracles a la 5 loaves and three fishes whilst those on the real salaries in their cosy little offices **** things up again.

I work at secondary school in Sheffield and we have been told this morning by our Head that letters will not be posted out on Saturday to arrive Monday as the information the Council have on the database is not up to date, they have got staff on the incorrect grades etc so letter won't be posted until this matter has been resolved. Our Head only found out when she called HR on the off chance and was informed of this.:(

Has anyone else any more info?

This is correct, we have to wait approximately two weeks from today, and it is only the Education and learning sector, everyone else has found out today. Alot of people in housing have lost out, whilst some in parks services etc have seen some improvements or stayed the same. I think it's fairly likely that you need to prepare yourself for the worst if you work in education. And to the previous poster who claimed the Star suggested 6 months.....it's rubbish , it currently stands at 12 months but the unions are pushing for 18 months paid protection ..NOTHING HAS BEEN DECIDED!!!.... its still ongoing, unison and GMB are still negotiating protected pay so DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ PLEASE.

I can assure you if there was nothing to worry about, there wouldn't be such a fuss. As for the 39 / 52 week debate...old ta contracts have NEVER been paid for 52 weeks worth of work!!!!!! so it is not unfair at all. You take a job on knowing the pay, it is not fair to start arguing amongst ourselves..we should all be on the same, but that does not mean a pay cut does it?

Please do not post unless it is facts..alot of people are getting distressed as it is.