Sheffield City Council pay and grading review

hi there. I too work in education (secondary) and am still on the old contract - along with 2 others. we are waiting to see what the new pay scale will be - expecting to lose out!!!:mad: I refuse to work longer hours for less pay - why should we??? better off working at Tesco.

Just checked my contract & I am already on a 39wk contract. Am with GMB who also say not to sign anything - don't worry I won't be!!!!

Ravensque, if someone is on the 52 week contract why should they be paid more than someone doing EXACTLY the same job for EXACTLY the same number of weeks per year. Not saying right or wrong here, just wondered what your reasons are, especially as you have found out since you are on a 39 week contract!!

I presume that this effectively means that your two colleagues you mentioned earlier are being paid for 52 weeks and your only being paid for 39. For exactly the same role/hours/etc. How does that make you feel now?

Why do you think you would need to work longer hours as mentioned in your first post? Im confused?

This is similar to a shop I worked in while i was at college. They got rid of the supervisor role and put all supervisors back to just sales assistants, however they didn't cut their pay just stopped their pay rises for how ever many years it took for the sales assistants to catch up with them so they were all on the same.

Although it is a paycut it is a fairer way to do things. Shame the council don't see it that way.

Exactly, it's not even as if this is all happening to save money or because of all this recession business. What the council don't realise is that many people are struggling financially without giving them a pay cut as they now think they are getting paid too much for their job!

This excercise isn't about saving money it's about making things fair. Personally i don't see what's fair in employing someone on a set wage for a number of years and then sudenly deciding that they get paid too much and giving them a pay cut!

This excercise isn't about saving money it's about making things fair. Personally i don't see what's fair in employing someone on a set wage for a number of years and then sudenly deciding that they get paid too much and giving them a pay cut!

And why is it fair that two people doing exactly the same job for exactly the same hours get different wages?

Its not uncommon for employers to ask staff to volutarily take pay cuts or a reduction in hours due to economic factors. At least its not job losses. (yet!!)

This excercise isn't about saving money it's about making things fair.

Crikey, if this is the case I am behind the changes 100%. Anyone who wants to make the workplace/wages/terms and conditions FAIR gets my vote. How can anyone be against the powers that be making something fair for everyone involved?? Personally, I think this is motivated my money and not fairness but each to their own.

Jelly, if you agree that they are wanting to make things fair do you agree with what they are doing or not. How would you go about it if you held the reigns?

Well, I,m led to believe that if you dont accept the new t/c your,e given 13 weeks notice then it,s good night vienna,either take it or leave it.in a nutshell thats what we have been told, Hope someone from the union side might be able to reply.
You have the right to appeal if the outcome isn't favourable. I think I read somewhere that most of the appeals in Birmingham were successful.

I along with many other council employees are currently awaiting the outcome of the pay and grading review that is currently taking place.

I work as support staff in a primary school and have been invited to attend a meeting with our head tomorrow so we can all be brought up to date on the general regrading situation. I understand we will all receive individual letters to our homes the week commencing 24th Jan to inform us of how the decision will affect our salaries and conditions.

Is anyone else is this position with the council at the minute, i'm beginning to worry that my salary will decrease! :sad::sad::sad:

How do others feel about the situation?

I worked for the council as a temp a few years ago and this was going on then. It will inevitably be the poor sods doing the real work i.e. administrators, cleaners, catering staff etc. who loose out. If they want to save money they should get rid of half the managers!!