Sheffield City Council pay and grading review

I also work for SCC - and as far as I am aware it is EVERYONE who is employed by them. There is no cut off point where it stops. I know my own manager is worried about it. At the end of the day no-one is safe from going through the process but we have been told it is aimed at getting jobs in line with each other across the board.

I'm on grade 1/2 but if I worked in another area doing the same job I would be on grade 1/2:3 and by now would have been at the top of 3 as I've got the relevant exam passes to get through the : (bar).

I suppose we will all just have to wait another week - unless the goalposts get moved once again (!!!) - and we'll be getting 'the letter' (but only if Royal Mail get the deliveries done!!). Wonder what will happen if odd ones go missing or not delivered???????? :o

The pay & grading only affects workers up to SUG13- can't remember if it includes SUG 13 or not. SUG13 starts on £45,395. Managers higher then this are on a different structure.

Someone who went to the union meeting Monday told me that they basically reiterated what had been said in their newsletter - i.e. staff should be concerned and that pay was going to be cut drastically for some employees.

They also said again not to sign up to anything yet.

any body who would see others loose hours for no reason at all and think it is ok is a little bitter and twisted! may be they should look at themselves and ask why they are not on a better contract. maybe because they are not fully qualified are they are bob at their job. employers offer the best to keep the best!

any body who would see others loose hours for no reason at all and think it is ok is a little bitter and twisted! may be they should look at themselves and ask why they are not on a better contract. maybe because they are not fully qualified are they are bob at their job. employers offer the best to keep the best!

If you are referring to the teaching assistants who are either on 39 or 52wk contracts then these teaching assistants aren't having their hours cut. All teaching assistants work 39wks per year regardless of what contract your on it's just that people who were employed before the early 90's used to get paid for 52wks even though they only worked 39.

This isn't based on performance at all. Many highly qualified, skilled and dedicated TA's are being paid for less weeks then other TA's who work the exact same amount of hours and weeks.

School's are now unable to offer their support staff 52wk contracts no matter how wonderful the employee is or how much the head would like to give them this contract.

If you're not referring to teaching assistant contracts then please ignore what i've just said.

I am a TA and have been for 26 years. When I first came into this profession my contract stated that I was paid for 1265 hours worked over 195 days (39 weeks). I did not decide these terms and conditions, we fought long and hard, using strike action, to achieve similar terms and conditions to teachers. I was never paid for 52 weeks, my salary was worked out on the above formula and paid equally over 52 weeks. After School workforce reforms in 2004 the new contracts were imposed and protection was granted to those on the old contracts while they remained in the same school. The Unions did not agree to this two tier system, neither did we. All new staff from 2004 were then put immediately on the new contracts and had the salary paid pro-rata to my rate. This saved the Council lots and also created bad working relations with staff. Maybe the Pay and Grading should unite staff by bringing up the people on the new contracts rather than make people who are on the old contracts and who have given good service for years loose money. All TAs are poorly paid for the service they give to schools and the pupils. Many of us are teachers on the cheap, and now it seems even cheaper. Why should level 3s stand infront of whole classes delivering lessons (which should have been pre-prepared by the teacher but invariably never is) prepared by themselves and yet take home only a fraction of a teachers salary.This is delivering to the same children as the class teacher with the same problems and disruptions as the class teacheer would face. Again we never agreed to this being in our job description and I feel we are being abused by schools on a regular basis in order to balance budgets.

I am a TA and have been for 26 years. When I first came into this profession my contract stated that I was paid for 1265 hours worked over 195 days (39 weeks). I did not decide these terms and conditions, we fought long and hard, using strike action, to achieve similar terms and conditions to teachers. I was never paid for 52 weeks, my salary was worked out on the above formula and paid equally over 52 weeks. After School workforce reforms in 2004 the new contracts were imposed and protection was granted to those on the old contracts while they remained in the same school. The Unions did not agree to this two tier system, neither did we. All new staff from 2004 were then put immediately on the new contracts and had the salary paid pro-rata to my rate. This saved the Council lots and also created bad working relations with staff. Maybe the Pay and Grading should unite staff by bringing up the people on the new contracts rather than make people who are on the old contracts and who have given good service for years loose money. All TAs are poorly paid for the service they give to schools and the pupils. Many of us are teachers on the cheap, and now it seems even cheaper. Why should level 3s stand infront of whole classes delivering lessons (which should have been pre-prepared by the teacher but invariably never is) prepared by themselves and yet take home only a fraction of a teachers salary.This is delivering to the same children as the class teacher with the same problems and disruptions as the class teacheer would face. Again we never agreed to this being in our job description and I feel we are being abused by schools on a regular basis in order to balance budgets.

Very well said.

I completely agree, you would think that with the relatively low pay TA's receive the only move would be a positive one, not the negative one that is going to affect many hard working dedicated teaching assistants. There was an article in the star a few days ago saying that teaching assistants are expected to be the worse hit by this review.