Sheffield City Council pay and grading review

If the idea is to make pay and conditions the same for everyone (39/52 weeks) then I'm interested why no folks have mentioned - why not take everyone up to the 52 weeks contract and not the other way round? It was the Leed's dinner ladies who were the ones who benefited from the windfall of inequality in pay and started some of the current reviews. Some of them walked off with £'000's. Teachers with a permanent contract are on a 52 week cycle and their salary point is divided accordingly into 12 - so they in effect get paid for the holidays the kids have. I know most of 'em work with planning / marking etc during holidays (or part of 'em) so that is perhaps fair? Not sure whether Classroom Assistants could do some holiday work in school or at home? The other point is the present Government's decision to increase pensionable age for women from 60 to 65 - on a sliding scale. That is a much bigger con and is also unfair in my opinion. It seems there's a common denominator here - all women are involved in the pension fiddle and I would think folks involved in this review are mostly women and at the wrong end of the pay structure and perhaps an 'easy' target? Hope it all works out for the understandably worried folks involved.

If the idea is to make pay and conditions the same for everyone (39/52 weeks) then I'm interested why no folks have mentioned - why not take everyone up to the 52 weeks contract and not the other way round? It was the Leed's dinner ladies who were the ones who benefited from the windfall of inequality in pay and started some of the current reviews. Some of them walked off with £'000's. Teachers with a permanent contract are on a 52 week cycle and their salary point is divided accordingly into 12 - so they in effect get paid for the holidays the kids have.

People should be paid for the amount of work they do which includes holiday pay. Dont forget folkes, the majority of people get paid an annual salary but only work between 45-47 weeks depending on holiday allowance.

A teacher for example. At entry level its currently £20627 per annum. This is split into 12 monthly payments so they are paid during holidays but the pay is determined per annum. I presume that the number of hours per week is set aswell. It balances itself out. However, if you are a part time teacher say working three days per week then you get pro rate the annual amount

£12376, or if you only work reduced hours you get pro-rata.

What they should be doing for teaching assistants is giving the same annual salary divided by 12 so for example the annual wage is £16941 for a level three teaching assistant. Is it the case that are the moment there are level 3 assistants out there some currently getting £16941 for 52 weeks and some getting £12705 for 39 weeks?? If this is the case this is not fair. I would hope that the review determines that the job is worth xx and everyone is paid an annual wage divided by 12 and only pro rata if they work part time hours so a level three teaching assistant working 3 days would get £10164 if the (annual) salary was set at £16941.

If annual salaries were set and only prorata if part time hours or days worked wouldnt it be simple or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

If the idea is to make pay and conditions the same for everyone (39/52 weeks) then I'm interested why no folks have mentioned - why not take everyone up to the 52 weeks contract and not the other way round?

Because the council tax and rates payers would probably rather the council didn't spend their money paying people for 52 weeks when they only work for 39?

Jelly, if you agree that they are wanting to make things fair do you agree with what they are doing or not. How would you go about it if you held the reigns?

I do agree with ensuring that everyone who works the same number of weeks gets paid the same amount. And I do believe that everyone doing the same job should be paid the same (but as far as I am aware this does happen amongst support staff, all level 3's get the same salary and then it's worked out on the number of hours they do, for eg: all level 3's on 37hr contracts will be paid the same and all level 3's on 18hr contracts will be paid the same)

This is how I dont understand how downgrading a person's pay will make it fair as all the people who are employed in that position will already be paid the same and will therefore all be taking a paycut!

At the minute the only way people emplyed in a particular position for eg a level 3 will be paid differently to another level 3 for working the same hours/weeks is if one of the level 3's has an additional responsibility point which is fair enough if one person has an extra responsibility they should be paid that little bit extra for it.

This is how I dont understand how downgrading a person's pay will make it fair as all the people who are employed in that position will already be paid the same and will therefore all be taking a paycut!

one of the things which has sparked off the regrading fest across the public secotr were some interesting equal pay claims ... basically boiling down to predominatly female roles getting paid less than predominantly male roles but with similar entry requirements

e.g. cleaners who were required to have an NVQ2 and building trade craftsmen where new entrants were joiningthe trade with an NVQ 2

so along comes job evaluation schemes to quantify what jobs actually do in that organisation...

with respect to people making comments aobut 'peopel doing the same job in a different trust' gettign banded differently, they weren't doing the 'same job' they had a very similar job title but in some cases very different job descriptions

What would be 'fair' would be to pay people what they are worth based on their performance in the job. Whilst some poor performers will have their pay cut at the top end, and some good performers will have their pay improved at the bottom, what about all those people that have worked really hard over the years and are now deemed to be 'overpaid'? What a great way to cut the output and on-the-job performance of some of the councils top performers.

If the pay and grading review was really about fairness ALL employees would be included. I believe managers earning more than £46k are not included. Not exactly fair that.

I also work for SCC - and as far as I am aware it is EVERYONE who is employed by them. There is no cut off point where it stops. I know my own manager is worried about it. At the end of the day no-one is safe from going through the process but we have been told it is aimed at getting jobs in line with each other across the board.

I'm on grade 1/2 but if I worked in another area doing the same job I would be on grade 1/2:3 and by now would have been at the top of 3 as I've got the relevant exam passes to get through the : (bar).

I suppose we will all just have to wait another week - unless the goalposts get moved once again (!!!) - and we'll be getting 'the letter' (but only if Royal Mail get the deliveries done!!). Wonder what will happen if odd ones go missing or not delivered???????? :o

I also work for SCC - and as far as I am aware it is EVERYONE who is employed by them. There is no cut off point where it stops. I know my own manager is worried about it. At the end of the day no-one is safe from going through the process but we have been told it is aimed at getting jobs in line with each other across the board.

I'm on grade 1/2 but if I worked in another area doing the same job I would be on grade 1/2:3 and by now would have been at the top of 3 as I've got the relevant exam passes to get through the : (bar).

I suppose we will all just have to wait another week - unless the goalposts get moved once again (!!!) - and we'll be getting 'the letter' (but only if Royal Mail get the deliveries done!!). Wonder what will happen if odd ones go missing or not delivered???????? :o

Not everyone is included and there is a cut-off point.