Where was your paper round when you were younger?

pitsmoorlad - what years did you do marshalls, I worked there around 79, used to hate it when someone didn't turn in at the firshill shop and you were asked to cover the round up there.

I had quite a few episodes with dogs on the rounds, perhaps they knew I had a fear of them.

I dont think there was newspapers when I was young, I seem to remember a man in a funny hat would come around ringing a big bell and shouting the news at full blast, wake me up in the morning he would :D:D:D

i did stockarth lane in stocksbridge. what an hike that was from middlewood road papershop. jack that in for round on wadsley lane and marlcliffe road 7 mornings n 6 nights in early 70's. used to do the occasssional extra round when felt like it for an extra 30P

I dont think there was newspapers when I was young, I seem to remember a man in a funny hat would come around ringing a big bell and shouting the news at full blast, wake me up in the morning he would :D:D:D

The Town Crier!:wow: How old are you flyer ?:hihi:

Mine was Attercliffe about 1965 for the newsagent/aqua equipment shop called Namrons on Staniforth Rd junction opposite the baths. I delivered on Clay St, Liverpool St, Whitworth Lane (by the old cop shop) and Hall Road and many more which I can no longer remember. Most of these have all long gone now covered by industrial estates and the Don Valley Stadium etc. Norman the owner of Namrons (corny or what?) was the biggest tight wad going and 'fined' you a couple of coppers (£sd in them days) at every opportunity missing a house etc. Got sick and tired of it when one week he stopped me 1/6 a lot of money then, price of a pint (beer not milk). Got my own back I did'nt tell him that I was jacking it in, just one sunday I dumped all the papers in a bin and went home! Good job he didn't know my address as I lived at Grimesthorpe at that time. 12 months later I started work at the Cleansing Dept. for the princely sum of £348 per annum, happy days.

Early 70's did stocksbridge/deepcar round and i wore platform shoes ! only did it a few week after school . The heavy bag i carried ruined my hotpants. lol !

Only 75 (next week) but with the sort of year I've had I feel like 175:(:(

Only 75 (next week) but with the sort of year I've had I feel like 175:(:(

Well you haven't lost you're sense of humour:thumbsup: (Better keep on topic):suspect:

i had 2 rounds in Oughtibridge where i lived for 30 years.

its all hills so every round was a killer-even more so on a sunday with a bag on each shoulder . i was paid £10 a week for that and my star round .

mine was highmoor, killamarsh for a couple of yrs and then we moved to millhouses and i did buttermere rd and all that area

In the 70s I did a round on the Base Green, Jaunty, Seagrave,Elstree. from Brooks newsagents opp Gleadless Church. Also did the Durlstone round occasionally which had 60+ papers which was murder on Friday when the Star was the thickest. If anyone complained about paper being missing or late then the cost of the paper was deducted from pay, 7p a paper..... tight sods who ran the newsagent.

I worked for Tugbies at the top of Longley Ave West in 1955-7 my round was mornings L.A.W.,Musgrave Cres,Musgrave Drive top half Musgrave Rd.Evenings were the same plus Miles Rd and Musgrave place,Sundays were L.A.W,Crumpsall Rd and drive and half of bottom Musgrave Rd,so if any one out there forgot my Christmas tips please get in touch.Mr and Mrs Tugby were brilliant with methey would always save me doubles as they knew Ihad bought a bike from Wiggys that i couldnt afford.Basic pay was 13s 1d a week but I could make a lot more. The business passsed to there daughter and son -inlaw Alec & Dot Quayle.Sadly they recently died and are buried near where I live in Rotherham.