Where was your paper round when you were younger?

Mine was Wincobank, Standon Road ,Jedbugh St , Woobury Rd, 6 Mornings & 6 Nights, (Mon to Sat,) for 6 Shillings a week,!!!. (30 pence,). Two Large paper bags in the morning & 118 Stars at night, plus trying to collect paper monies on Sat night.!! ( That was a laugh,!!!). But happy memories,.

I delivered from Pembertons at Meadowhead, My route being just one road, Norton Lane, It started just past the Norton Pub with my last delivery being at the Country club opposite Norton church, The Sunday suppliments used to treble the weight as I remember

My Sheffield Star paper round from Marshall's on Nottingham Street took me up and down the Andover Street flats.

At first I used to get the lift to the top floor of each block, then walk down delivering to each floor.

Then I got smart. If I took the lift that did the even numbered floors , then pressed all the floor numbers , the door would open long enough for me to put the papers through the letter boxes and get back in the lift. Then I'd do the same with the odd numbered floors.

Probably ended up being the quickest paper round in the area.

Mid to late 70's around the Angram Bank estate in High Green from the newsagents on the Fosters. 1.90 a week for 65 papers a day and the green un's on Saturday ..........

My round took in lower wincobank, Barrow Rd, Newman Rd, Vauxhall Rd etc, 1970-71, I delivered for Beedhams on Fife St, morning papers & the star, 6 days a week for 17/6 (87 1/2p).

Nostalgia, it's a thing of the past.

My paper round was passed onto me by my brother and I passed it onto my little brother when I left, I used to work for Dennis on Burgoyne Road, the round was Cundy Street, Industry Street and the one above it, Tennyson Road, and Hawksworth Road, and the road that runs across the three, used to do both the morning and evening rounds and sundays, and also any round that was not being delivered, those were the days when I used to run up Cundy St with a bag full or papers would be lucky to be able to walk up it now.

Billy B

Mid 70's era...

For my first ever paper round the newsagent used to leave the papers in the telephone box at the Tom Lane/Carsick Hill Road junction where I would pick them up and do Tom Lane/Hillcote Drive/Carsick Hill Road. Stone Delf (where I lived)/Slayleigh Ave/Chorley Road got added a few months later and I got a pay rise :cool:

The Tom Lane/Carsick round then got changed to a major trek up and down Slayleigh Lane including the flats at the Slayleigh Lane/Fulwood Road junction plus the existing Stone Delf round. I managed to offload the Slayleigh Lane bit very quickly due to being knackered and regularly late for school - I just couldn't walk fast enough up that ruddy hill!

I eventually ended up with just Stone Delf/Slayleigh Ave and got yet another pay rise for what was more or less a 10 minute stroll up and down my own street :thumbsup:

Hi

I did a simmilar round from the newsagent in Nether green in 1972/73, the round was so long that it was shared you only actualy did it 3 days per week. Some of the drives up to the houses constituted a round on their own. The Christmas tips were excellent.

Hi Pete R, My Wincobank paper round was a litte bit earlier than yours, 1951/1952. I delivered for Wadsworths, but by Sat , (pay day,) most of the paper lads had "subbed" at least half our wages in sweets,!!!. I was lucky if i got 2 or 3 shillings to draw, (12/15 pence.) Some job eh!!!!.

My paper round (1963), Started at Elstones paper shop,nethershire lane,lower shiregreen,up Bellhouse rd,then turn left,Oaks Fold, then down Mason laithe rd all the way to the Penquin,then the Ravine, If my memory is correct,for 7 mornings and 6 nights(The Star), I got 14 Shillings, Always remember getting paid after our sunday morning round,and spending 2 shillings on sweets and pop in the same shop.

In those days I thought I was loaded when I got my pay,(A Ten shilling note,and 2 Florins) :-)

My paper round (1958) also started at Elstones paper shop, Nethershire Lane, 7 mornings and 6 nights, Ronksley/Wheatshief/Ronksley was the title of my round. I used to get paid Sunday morning (about ten bob I think), used to spend the rest of the day and most of the money in Derbyshire.

I also had a part time job as a wringer out for a one arm window cleaner.:hihi:

My paper round was passed onto me by my brother and I passed it onto my little brother when I left, I used to work for Dennis on Burgoyne Road, the round was Cundy Street, Industry Street and the one above it, Tennyson Road, and Hawksworth Road, and the road that runs across the three, used to do both the morning and evening rounds and sundays, and also any round that was not being delivered, those were the days when I used to run up Cundy St with a bag full or papers would be lucky to be able to walk up it now.

Billy B

I also did that paper round in the late 60s got around 7/6. God it was knacking.

My round was Langsett Avenue and all roads off it! That kept me fit.

I was paid 12/6 in 1963/4. I saved my pay to go on a school trip to Belgium and my oldest brother (who was working) doubled what I saved.

Marion

my paper round started at singletons haulage yard on high street ecclesfield,then up high street /st marys lane/priory rd/ and down church street. 50 pence per week for the mornings and 40 pence for the star.sunday rounds were paid seperate at 12 and a half pence per round. this would have been early 70,s. all weathers!! no bike!! happy days.