Where was your paper round when you were younger?

I delivered the Sheffield Star around Stannington - 34 papers on 6 evenings - I was paid the princely sum of £1.37p for the week.

I can remember one house whose letterbox was so sharp that I often cut my hand on it as the paper went in - the house owner actually complained that his paper was always ripped and I got the blame !

Apparently you don`t have the young uns doing the rounds now as most of them employ the retired to do it or so i`m told anyway.

My round was from Washington Rd, Pearl street, Cenetary Road, Top end of Sharrow Lane to Nether Edge.

I forget what the weekley pay was but those Christmas tips were unforgetable.

Yes they were. Always made sure i gave each house an xmas card. With 70+ customers if you got only a pound from each, which in the 70`s was a lot of money, it ended up a tidy sum

I did the Hillsborough side of Langsett Estate in the late 80's, only did the mornings though, cant remember what I was paid, worked from Mick's papershop on Langsett Road.

I did the Hillsborough side of Langsett Estate in the late 80's, only did the mornings though, cant remember what I was paid, worked from Mick's papershop on Langsett Road.

Mick seems to do most of his own paper deliveries these days, he shuts up shop and toddles off on his rounds.

My round was at Nether-edge, up Steade Road and onto Kenwood Park Road. It was a right drag going up the hills with the papers. I also did Sunday mornings on Broadfield Road across the bridge that was there then to deliver to the cottages, one morning I fell down a coal hole which wasn't secure and got a right bruised leg, today it would be compensation wouldn't it :D:roll:

I used to have a paper round in my early teens in the Owlerton area.The paper shop was opposite The Old Blue Ball the owner was called Mr Turner;I used to take the earley mornings up Hawksley Ave. Bradfield Rd;Owlerton Green before school.After school I delivered the Star;for this I earned the princely sum of 15 shillings a week.One of the houses I went to an old lady had it full of cats;lots of cats;when she opened the door the stench was overpowering how she lived in it Ill never know.The one thing Ill never forget happened up Owlerton Green this certain house had a viscious dog;it tried to to attack me every time I showed my face.The only thing stopping it was a chain holding the door ajar a few inches;anyway I used to roll their paper up and give the beast a crack on its snout nice and hard at every delivery.One teatime I strolled in their yard preparing to give Rover his daily smack when to my horror the door opened;I made a bolt for the gate ;I almost made it but I had the paper bag over my shoulder.In my panic I tried to jump the wall ;Rover clamped on my arse and nearly tore a pound of flesh off it.I couldnt sit down for a week;I supposed I deserved it.:huh:

I had a paper round at pitsmoor and the newsagent was on scott rd and called ernest bell. Used to hate sundays and all the big thick papers and magazines and there was one bloke who seemed to have nearly all the sunday papers and the letter box was about 4inch wide and about an inch in height and took me ages to undo all the papers to fit into the letterbox, though i suppose the householder had the same fun putting them back together again

Yes I did have a paper round in my youth... I delivered 100 papers per night for the grand sum of £1 then when I started collecting money on Friday nights my wages rose to £1.10p per week. My daughter had a paper round 15 years ago and she delivered 25 papers and got payed £3.50 think I might look into what paper rounds are paying now... much more fun plus Christmas tips and look at the exercise you get...lol

As for my brother he delivered morning papers and thought nothing to drinking the odd pint of milk if thirsty... brothers eh lol

Edited by drakej

I had one in Pitsmoor and worked for Marshalls on Nottingham St it was a hefty one doing Denholme and Marcus area but when the fair came to Bridgehouses I had to hyke right down there good job it left a week later

i delivered papers around the top part of grenoside in the early 70's. thursdays were the worst with all the tv/radio times. one cottage had some geese and i used to tip toe down the gravel path hoping the geese wouldn't hear me. i got chased a few times but they never got me! out in all weathers for £1.50 a week.

I had one on the shiregreen in the early 70`s. I did mornings and the star for 6 days and the sunday papers for £5 a week