Where was your paper round when you were younger?

Garthai,

Pete Elliott lived 2 doors away from you but you were a youngster when he got married and moved out but his parents lived there at the other side of Penley St. so it would have been 62 or 70 Fentonville St., I lived on Priory Terrace.

We had a corner house & our yard shared with a building on Penley St. I say building it was a house used by a builders merchant (paints & such) for a shop on London Rd.

Next yard there was 2 possible 3 houses which would have included no.70, No children my age so I can't really comment. The oposite of the road was 64 the corner house (France was the name) a bigger back yard than most probably connected to 5 houses 64-56 (France at 64 & Bailice or Bailis at 56)

I think Pete Elliott must have lived next door to the France family at 62

My mates lived at the other end probably (guessing 78 & the oposite odd numbers side of the road. & on Franklin also on Penely St.

Priory Rd was off Sharrow Lane the other side continuation of Fentonville. We used to go up there on our way to Kenwood Pk Road.

Edited by garthai
Text addition

I was there in late 70's when Morris was shop boss

Morris was still boss when I worked there, heard he retired eventually.

mine was for the post office on Jenkin road. Sundays were a killer bottom to top with 2 bags every sunday, what a killer

mine was down hillfoot, farfield rd etc now it`s all industrial units

I did my paper round from Manor lane post office best round there one street Manor Park Cresent,heavy on sundays not bad mid week.I then progressed to marking up paper rounds at the back of the post office,many a time had to knock up wilf richardson the owner ,he used to throw me the keys from the bedroom window, happy days.

i did popple street & surounding streets & the wensly estate every evening & weekend.this was in the late 80's early 90's from underwoods newsagents at pagehall

How about Twentywell Lane Bradway. So steep. 12/- for mornings and 3/- for Sunday in 1965. Imagine chewing gum was 6d. Big hole in the 3 bob. Used to get a lift back of the milk float. Health & Safety!!!!!

my round was the Weakland Estate, 7s 6p a week delivering evening star! thursdays delivery was the worse

I delivered to the Knab farm estate shortly after it was built.I was the first motorised paper boy in Sheffield (I had a cyclemaster)I cannot remember the newsagents name in Abbedale Road but their son was killed whilst riding his bike(mowed down by a car).I cannot remember how much I was paid either.

mine was on the manor started fairfax rd the circle raven carr harborough ave back to fairfax got £2 a week.

I did rounds in Burncross between 1976 and 1981; weekdays and Saturday mornings and evenings (The Star) and Sunday mornings. Mine covered Chapel Road, Broad Inge Crescent and Bevan Way. Kevin.

Duplicate post:blush:

Edited by Daven