Where was your paper round when you were younger?

Never had one, but us kids use to shout GREEN-UN and hide in the bushes.

I worked for Albert Wharton. He had the paper-shop on Shirland Lane, in Darnall. I learned all the rounds, so if one of the lads didn't turn up, I covered his round. This got me nine bob a week. The Sunday rounds were heavy.

I covered from Balfour Road at one end to Candow and Harmore Street, at the other. I seem to remember that these two streets were known as "Canned-up and hard-up."

I did this for a couple of years, 'til full-time work began, in 1963. Happy days!

Were you a newsboy/girl? When I was 13 I couldn't wait to get a newspaper round to earn some pocket money. You weren't supposed to do it before the age of 14 but many told a little porky pie to get the job. I worked for Allotts on Wostenholme Road doing morning and evening rounds in the Kenwood/Priory Road area. (good for tips at Christmas). Remember the morning papers? Manchester Guardian; Times, Daily Telegraph; Daily Express; Daily Sketch; Daily Mail; Daily Mirror; and the locals, Sheffield Telegraph and Yorkshire Post as well as Angling Times; Methodist Recorder; Financial Times, Weekly News; and - for ghe kids - The Eagle and many other comics. It was a very heavy bag, especially on Sundays. And, of course, on Saturdays we delivered The Star and then went back later to deliver The Green 'Un.

Cold, wet? Yes. Character building ? Yes. But I wouldn't have missed it for the world. And, naturally, spent most of my life as a journalist. Delivering the news.

Stannington so up and down a very steep hill - I delivered 37 Sheffield Stars for 6 days a week in all weathers and got paid the princely sum of £1.34p in 1974

Edited by Daven

Don't understand the Green 'Un delivery part ie; where I delivered (Pitsmoor), the Star came around 4:30 and had to be delivered then. The Green 'Un came around 5:30 (remember the football matches didn't finish till about 4:50 and then had to be printed). So did lots of kids do two deliveries or take a late Star with the Green Un ?

Guest makapaka

From Jenkin avenue down jerkin drive on to Oxted Road to limpsfield road. Across railway bridge to bridge inn and crown inn. Along Meadowhall road to industrial units on tiler street. Back up jenkin Road to shop.

Had to have bag lifted on my shoulder cos couldn’t lift it - I was 11.

50p each day mon-fri, sat off, Sunday a pound.

I’ve got a 9 year old now who I don’t even let go off our street.

Edited by makapaka

I did mine for Mitchell's newsagents on Westwick Crescent. Morning round only Monday - Saturday. Papers delivered on Old Park Road and Old Park Avenue. About 1969 / 1970.

If United had been playing the night before then the papers were always delivered late as I had to read all the match reports.

Led to being late then for the school bus. I think I was paid 14 shillings per week.

Remember one Sunday being called in on a Sunday to deliver papers around the Reney area. Took me ages as I didn't know the round. Bag weighed a ton.

Don't understand the Green 'Un delivery part ie; where I delivered (Pitsmoor), the Star came around 4:30 and had to be delivered then. The Green 'Un came around 5:30 (remember the football matches didn't finish till about 4:50 and then had to be printed). So did lots of kids do two deliveries or take a late Star with the Green Un ?

Always double shifts for me on Saturday between 1958 and 1961 which was the year when I started work. I did about 70 plus Stars 6 nights a week and then about 40 Green Uns on a Saturday, after I had been home and had my tea all for 5 bob a week, and it never went up.

Did a round taking The Star starting on Kent Road for Colley newsagent. Always had to go back to do Green 'Un after The Star on Saturday night which usually meant I was only just in time to get t'pictures at Abbeydale first house!

Regards,

Dufems

I used to deliver the morning papers for Mitchell's (top of Bocking Lane) 1964-1965. My round was probably the worst one. Westwick Crescent was all steep, long drives & awkward letterboxes. I remember that the Daily Express was much more popular than the Daily Mail; nowadays the situation is reversed. Also I delivered the last ever edition of the Daily Herald before it became the Sun which was originally nothing like the trashy rag it later became.

I used to deliver the morning papers for Mitchell's (top of Bocking Lane) 1964-1965. My round was probably the worst one. Westwick Crescent was all steep, long drives & awkward letterboxes. I remember that the Daily Express was much more popular than the Daily Mail; nowadays the situation is reversed. Also I delivered the last ever edition of the Daily Herald before it became the Sun which was originally nothing like the trashy rag it later became.

The Daily Herald, where I first started following horse racing, my Grandmother, who was the bookies "runner " on our street, always backed Templegate's Nap(best bet) religiously. It was always one of the two horses in her VV and double that she bet daily. And when the paper was done with, it went in the lav or to the chip shop :D