The "It's snowing!" and all things snow thread

According to the Met Office precipitation radar image from 10pm, we should be getting a break in the snowfall soon. The heavy stuff's moving up the east coast.

According to the Met Office precipitation radar image from 10pm, we should be getting a break in the snowfall soon. The heavy stuff's moving up the east coast.

so is that a change in the forecast?

so is that a change in the forecast?

Well, I've not looked at the forecast, just which direction the storm front's moving and what's behind it.

The stuff on the East coast is rain and sleet (there's reports of heavy rain in some places).

See: http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Snow!

I took a few pics but haven't made a snowman or anything. Yet.

Source: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/yh_forecast_warnings.html

Very Heavy Snowfall, Severe Blizzards & Severe Drifting Snow - from 1800 Mon 2 to 0500 Tue 3 for North, South & West Yorkshire

There is a high risk of an extreme weather event affecting areas above 200 metres and in particular the Pennines.

Heavy snowfalls will lead to further accumulations of locally 20 to 30 cms in these areas with strong northeasterly winds leading to blizzard conditions and drifting. On lower ground a further 5-10cm is likely with the snow gradually turning to rain overnight.

Disruption to power supplies and transport is expected with a danger to life.

Issued at: 1653 Mon 2 Feb

Disruption to power supplies and transport is expected with a danger to life.

:o does that mean I don't have to do my meeting at the town hall? :hihi::hihi:

University of Sheffield is definitely open tomorrow, just had an email.

Just been outside,heard lots of dripping i think its thawing. tut

Just been outside,heard lots of dripping i think its thawing. tut

There's some warm air pushing in from the East. It seems to have edged a little further West that expected, but it's also expected to lift away. This means the temperature could drop again, and if it does any melted/wet areas could easily re-freeze and become quite icy.

Edited by skanky