Two minutes silence in meadowhall

i was in meadowhall yesterday and was in bhs when it was 11am, i was telling my 3 year old for an hour she would have to be quite for 2 mins and when it got to 11am nothing happened everthing just carried on as normal me and my mum just looked at one another and assumed we had missunderstood it was very strange we expected something coming over the intercom thing and all the tills and music stopping but nothing

It's up to the shops though if they want to implement it- it's not law or anything, thankfully.

I was at Barker's Pool yesterday, and most were silent, though there were some vermin who walked past the city hall steps - ie, behind the honour guard but in front of the trumpeter. They seemed not to notice the 300 or so stood in silence, the large bronze thing with wreaths on and 10 flags being held up by old men.

Vermin!

i work in tjhughs and when we stopped for the 11 o clock , we stopped serving drinksetc and stood in silence , only to have an elderley lady shout , am i gonna get served or have u fell asleep i found this horrific ,

another elderly lady shouted for us to get her a bacon bagette to which she was ignored , yet there was a group of 8 16 year olds to 18 year ols who all stood in silence - shows u the difference doesnt it

The problem with elderly people is... just that... they are elderly and will not always be aware of what is going on.

They could be hearing impaired and may not have heard the announcements, they could have any number of problems. It would have been wiser to advise them of the situation at the time, instead of ignoring them.

As some one else said, yes they can be embarrassing, but remember you might be like that if you live long enough.

i was in morrisons down the far end and a few people up there were chatting away and really didnt notice what was happening! i was very disappointed

Really? I was up by the bread etc and it was silent - even my 3 year old sat on the floor and never said a word (a miracle!! lol) Morrison's had given plenty of warnings of what they were gonna do so the ignorant fools who carried on talking had no excuse.

if remembrance sunday means so much to you, why on earth go to meadowhall at that time?

i'm sure it's open in the afternoon.

it is not compulsory to observe a two, or even one minute silence. in fact what does staying silent for one minute mean anyhow in the whole of a year?

i was silent at 11am on sunday morning, cos i was asleep at the time

:)

if remembrance sunday means so much to you, why on earth go to meadowhall at that time?

If you'd actually read my opening thread you'd know that I was talking about

November 11th, NOT Remembrance Sunday, and that I was in Meadowhall because I work there.

And the ignorant, disrespectful people I was talking about probably share the same opinions as you. You're right, its only two minutes out of a year, I find it a bit worrying that some people cant manage to be decent for even two minutes.

Well said nikki-red. 2 minutes a year to remember the people that gave their lives for their country isn't too much to ask. No-one is asking for people to put their lives on hold and not go about their business on the 11th or remembrance Sunday, just a bit of respect and a bit of thought. Suppose you'll always get some that don't give a damn :-(

it is not compulsory to observe a two, or even one minute silence. in fact what does staying silent for one minute mean anyhow in the whole of a year?

i was silent at 11am on sunday morning, cos i was asleep at the time

:)

It is a bit impractical to stop everything for 2 minutes isn't it!

I did observe the two minutes' silence on Remembrance Sunday and I found it quite moving, but, like it has already been mentioned on this thread, it's not compulsory to observe it.