Two minutes silence in meadowhall

we did it at work we only had a reminder 10 mins before it started and we all stood back from serving and was actually suprised how many people did and was really glad they all had the respect to do so in silence and if my 5 and 7 year old have the respect to do why cant others or atleast be silent,what is two minutes in someones life to pay respect to all those who gave for us,good on you all that did.xx

On the other hand, I was in Matallan just off the Parkway and absolutely everyone stopped shopping and stood silently. I was very impressed.

Exactly the same in Morrisons at Hillsborough - you could have heard a pin drop and that's how it should be for a mere 2 mins a year.

Was anyone else disgusted with the supposed two minutes silence in meadowhall this morning?

I work there and there were announcements every ten minutes or so building up to it, however, when it got to 11o'clock hardly anybody stopped talking, let alone stopped walking to pay their respects.

I am one of the lucky ones that hasnt lost anybody in any of our wars, but this made me so angry and upset I felt like crying. I couldnt believe the total lack of respect from so many people.

Likewise in High Wycombe, I'm sad to report.

"Wreath layer's shock at thoughtless shoppers"

6:40pm Monday 10th November 2008

BUCKS FREE PRESS

By Tom Pochciol »

"A RED Cross charity worker is calling for an end to shopping on Remembrance Day morning after oblivious shoppers failed to respect the event.

Richard English, centre organiser for the High Wycombe Red Cross, said he felt honoured to be chosen to lay a wreath at the base of the High Wycombe War Memorial on Sunday.

However, he said he was stunned by the attitude of townsfolk, who ignored the solemn event in favour of their next purchase.

“There were all these hordes of people walking through with shopping bags clutched who couldn't give a monkey's about what was going on,” he said.

Mr English's father, also called Richard, earned the Distinguished Flying Cross for his RAF service in the Second World War, and his mother Elizabeth worked to draw up maps for bombing missions.

In a letter to the Bucks Free Press, Mr English wrote: “Is it not time for the legislation to be enacted to prevent shops from opening until, say, 11.30 hours on Remembrance Sunday?”

I was at home, at 11 am both on Sunday and yesterday, the 11th.

I had my radio on so I could hear the Chimes of Big Ben, and I observed the silence in my living room, even though I was on my own and there was no-one else around to take notice of whether I did or I didn't.

As the granddaughter of a man who served, and was wounded, in WWI, and the daughter of a former soldier, I make it a point to observe remembrance day to honour the men and women who, like so many of my grandfather's comrades-in-arms, never came back, or who came back maimed.

I no longer go to Barkers Pool, for the ceremony, as I was not impressed with certain rude members of the public, shoving in front of me and my chair, to "get a better view" when it is obvious, to even the most dim, that they can see over me in my chariot, if I am in front of them, but I cannot see past them if they are standing in front of me.

The point of attending the ceremony in Barkers Pool is about honouring the fallen, not jostling, and shoving people out of the way in order to get the "best" view".

Exactly the same in Morrisons at Hillsborough - you could have heard a pin drop and that's how it should be for a mere 2 mins a year.

i was in morrisons down the far end and a few people up there were chatting away and really didnt notice what was happening! i was very disappointed

i was in meadowhall yesterday and was in bhs when it was 11am, i was telling my 3 year old for an hour she would have to be quite for 2 mins and when it got to 11am nothing happened everthing just carried on as normal me and my mum just looked at one another and assumed we had missunderstood it was very strange we expected something coming over the intercom thing and all the tills and music stopping but nothing