The new Islam megathread

Which School of Law do you follow in Islam?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which School of Law do you follow in Islam?

• Maliki
    • Shafi
    • Hanbali
    • Hanafi
    • I dont follow one
    • Look you tinpot, whats a school of law?

yip another islam thread but theres lots to discuss.

i know from reading books on western woman adopting islam that woman should not smile or laugh in the presence of another male who is not immediate family.

can woman be filmed laughing in private to be shown to a larger audience?

what is the islamic age of sexual consent?

what is the view on abortion in the case of rape etc.

what is the view on woman working and voting?

why do you never see brightly coloured burkahs?

They should be castrated at birth, then there will be no more threads on here about the stuff! Sorted!

(just kidding-ish)

yip another islam thread but theres lots to discuss.

i know from reading books on western woman adopting islam that woman should not smile or laugh in the presence of another male who is not immediate family.

can woman be filmed laughing in private to be shown to a larger audience?

what is the islamic age of sexual consent?

what is the view on abortion in the case of rape etc.

what is the view on woman working and voting?

why do you never see brightly coloured burkahs?

hi Preacher

1, 16 is legal age of consent

2, depends everyone is different but usually get rid i believe

3, Women stop in house look after the children, house and make sure food is ready for the man when HE returns from work as for voting that is not an issue anyone can vote

4, The reason one never sees brightly coloured burkhas is mainly because you rarely see women wearing burkha out in the dark after the watershed

as for brightly coloured ones i have seen many different coloured ones myself in sheffield maybe you are looking in the wrong places :)

Try parking up outside Arshad Fabrics for half an hour in firth park

q1) Not sure about that! *puzzled expression* I do know some schools of Islamic thought do forbid a woman from singing and/or dancing in a mixed-gender grouping.

q2) a:- depends on the country/ state (even in the US the age of consent can be as low as 13, for sex/ marriage)

b:- I could have sworn we had done an age of consent thread before. (:rolleyes: )

q3) Abortion is permissible, under Islam, if it is a case of the pregnancy having an adverse effect on the mother's mental or physical well-being. (and I'm sure that being made to carry your rapists baby is not going to have "that" beneficial an effect on the woman?)

q4) voting/ working:- Islamic law permits the woman to both vote, and to work/ run a business. (there are rights and obligations set out in the Qur'an which apply to both men and women, including things like the instruction to obtain an education/ knowledge, to pray, to fast, to accumulate wealth, to pay taxes on their wealth and give alms to the poor, to mention but a few)

q5) brightly coloured burkhas:- you DO see burkhas in different colours. They are not Henry's Model T Ford (think about it !!!) I've seen them in sky blue.

(edit to add, I have jilbabs- the long covering-robes many Muslim women wear - in many different colours:- a beautiful aqua blue, a sage green, a brown, a purple one, a tan one, and a black one. With matching scarves )

I have been mentioning a lot of this in threads recently and was very worried that i may have come across as a englebert humperdick parrot, looking through Ancient Islamic Law with Rose Tinted Glasses.

So i fully wellcome this BBC report by proper Acamedia discussing the roots and similiarities of how English Common Law was different to continental European/Latin/Roman Law because a lot of it was copied/taken from/influenced by Muslim Law. How? King Henry whom introduced it had many advisors and relatives who raided Siciliy in the 11th Century. Siciliy then was ruled by Muslims who followed the Maliki school of Islamic Law (one of the 4 schools of Islam). They then took this back and in the 12th century English Common Law came about.

I myself follow the Maliki school. I study ancient texts hundreds of years old in my spare time.

The Waqf system that was in rule in Muslim socities for over a thousand years, modelled via the NHS now even gets a mention. The last example of a Muslim ruler granting Waqf status was the Ottoman Sultan Abdul Hamid Khan II around 1909. When Oil was discovered in Mosul , Iraq he declared the fruits of it to be divided for the town of Mosul to make way for Hospitals, Roads, Libraries, Food Markets etc.... for the benefit of Muslim and Non Muslim alike.

Attaturk, the founder of modern Turkey, in a manner that was typical of his hatred for Ottoman Society, immediately cancelled it, and siphoned off the Oil wealth to the early Manhatten Bankers. Via Lord Curzon.

Interestingly, if anyone has any deep rooted problems with fundamentalist interpretation of Islam (kill all homosexuals and apostates etc...) then know that the 4 schools of Islam were designed exactly to prevent Bigots monopolising Islamic Texts, so that 1 view was never dominant, at the repression of other views. This meant that if 1 of the schools imposed a ruling, their was always 3 others views on the Islamic texts to balance out any bigotry. The Saudi Arabian clergys whom follow Wahabism (the root of this extremist interpretation) have waged an ideologicall war on the 4 schools of Islam. They have:

Banned its teaching in Mecca and Madinah from the early 80s.

Prohibited the scholars of the 4 schools in major places in Univerisities.

Given various "fast track" benefits to any scholars following Wahabism, to try and dismantle the 4 schools.

Never ever openly admit "we dont allow the promotion of the 4 schools" very cleverly as they know the Muslim world wouldnt stand it.

it was for this reason i took up the Maliki school. To preserve the heritage, which, ironically, somehow, was copied into English Common Law.

Amazing isnt it? i wellcome any intellectual debate on the similiarities this peice had and any questions. It may seem boring to some but i find it fascinating. Thoughts???

Here is the peice. I would appreciate if you read it fully before commenting on my thread otherwise you wouldnt know what im talking about or where the peice is coming from.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7631388.stm

Is English law related to Muslim law?

In London's historic "Inns of Court", barristers practise law in the shadow of the distinctive medieval Temple Church. But does English law really owe a debt to Muslim law?

For some scholars, a historical connection to Islam is a "missing link" that explains why English common law is so different from classical Roman legal systems that hold sway across much of the rest of Europe.

It's a controversial idea. Common law has inspired legal systems across the world. What's more, calls for the UK to accommodate Islamic Sharia law have caused public outcry.

The first port of call when looking for an eastern link in the common law is London's Inns of Court.

"You are now leaving London, and entering Jerusalem," says Robin Griffith-Jones, the Master of the Temple Church, as he walks around its spectacular rotunda.

The church stands in the heart of the legal district and was built by the Knights Templar, the fierce order of monks-turned-warriors who fought Muslim armies in the Crusades.

London's historic legal district, with its professional class of independent lawyers, has parallels with the way medieval Islamic law was organised.

In Sunni Islam there were four great schools of legal theory, which were often housed in "madrassas" around mosques. Scholars debated each other on obscure points of law, in much the same way as English barristers do.

There is a theory that the Templars modelled the Inns of Court on Muslim ideas.

By Mukul Devichand

Very interesting piece of history, and I would certainly read other articles on it - the differences in schools of thought and the reasons behind it deserve a wider audience, especially the Wahabism part in the current climate.

There's little doubt that many things in British society have taken on influences from other cultures, religions etc. so it's not entirely surprising that a link might exist with Muslim law - however, it would be stretching it a little too far to say it had been copied into (as opposed to was one influence towards) English common law. There are a number of explanations as to why law practices can develop in this type of structure, not least of which is simply around where there is a need for them - whether it be the fact it's close to the centre of lawmaking or where the mercantile classes did most of their business...and in the case of The Inns of Court both apply.

P.S. Well worth making the effort to take a wander through the Inns of Court during the limited hours they open to the public.

A Sheffield family who wanted to bury their relative on a Saturday have been refused as only Muslims are allowed to bury their dead on Saturdays.

This is the kind of thing that causes resentment and I hope this council will reconsider its position

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Stepdad-can39t-be-buried-on.4521028.jp#3268113