The new Islam megathread

Which School of Law do you follow in Islam?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which School of Law do you follow in Islam?

• Maliki
    • Shafi
    • Hanbali
    • Hanafi
    • I dont follow one
    • Look you tinpot, whats a school of law?

Take it up with the Star then if you think its nonsense:)

It is nonsense, because they simply haven't research the background.

Maybe they want to check what services are available on a saturday to non muslims, since muslim funerals are conducted fully themselves.

I think most people have grasped that - and also, have grasped the fact that councils are supposed to allow religious demands wherever practicable.

Opening on a Saturday so that a body can be buried at the earliest possible date, to satisfy religious demands, seems to me to be practicable. Opening on a Saturday because the family of some guy who died over a week ago think Saturday's a better day to have it, has nothing whatsoever to do with any religion.

It's not about religion or faith - it's about being denied access to a service that's available to others for a discriminatory reason. The reported reason the request for burial was denied was religion - not capacity. I'd see no problem if they'd been turned down on a capacity basis, but to be excluded from a service freely available to others because of your religion isn't right.

No council service should be denied to anyone on the basis of faith. It's just plain wrong.

Funny how some people are so pernickity about political correctness on some topics and not others. All of a sudden its really important that everyone is treated exactly the same.

Personally I dont think any religious group should be given special treatment, or any different access to public services, but I dont think thats a very popular view.

"His stepdaughter Jean Maltby, from Greenhill, wanted the funeral to be held this Saturday so family who live outside the city - including her brother Stephen, now living in Dorset, and relatives from the Isle of Man - could attend."

I think I would make sure I could attend at a family funeral, no matter what day it was arranged for.

But Martin Green, senior bereavement services manager for Sheffield, insisted the council's policy was in line with that of others around Britain.

'The council recognised the specific cultural and religious needs surrounding burial and has been offering an extended burial service to the Muslim community,' he said.

'This degree of flexibility is in line with services offered by major cities throughout the UK.

Just for those who dont want to read it all.

:)

And for ballance

Their views were echoed by Abdool Gooljar, president of the Sheffield branch of the Society of Islam, who said the council should try to meet the needs of every resident of the city.

'The last thing we want to do is cause more upset at the time of bereavement, and I would urge a re-think so everybody has the right to bury their dead when they want,' he said.

'I, firstly as a Muslim and secondly as a citizen, do not want preferential treatment. We are living in a multi-faith, multi-cultural society and we should endeavour to meet the needs of every citizen in this city.'

No council service should be denied to anyone on the basis of faith. It's just plain wrong.

Actually, it's exactly what we campaigned for. Freedom of religion - even if that religion requires you to bury your dead at the earliest possible opportunity.

Islam just requires burial "as soon as possible".

If the cemetery is shut at weekends, then Monday satisfies this requirement.

Or not?

Islam just requires burial "as soon as possible".

If the cemetery is shut at weekends, then Monday satisfies this requirement.

Or not?

I don't think three days is fast enough. The body would start to decompose.

I don't think three days is fast enough. The body would start to decompose.

That's what fridges are for.