The new Islam megathread

Which School of Law do you follow in Islam?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which School of Law do you follow in Islam?

• Maliki
    • Shafi
    • Hanbali
    • Hanafi
    • I dont follow one
    • Look you tinpot, whats a school of law?

Why would you want to have a funeral on a saturday anyway? The day off work's half the fun?

You you think it makes people hate the minority though?

It definitely fuels racism and intolerance if people feel that there is another set of 'rules' for another group of people.

But they did ask for it

Not as far as I can see. They didn't have any need or desire to have the funeral take place as soon as possible; they just picked a Saturday.

It definitely fuels racism and intolerance if people feel that there is another set of 'rules' for another group of people.

It's the dozy councillors at fault though surely, if they permit muslims to have saturday burials should we expect the muslims to say "No you're ok, it's alright. We don't want to upset the white folk, we'll make do" ??

Of course not, you can't blame them for taking it if its offered.

It's 100% the councils fault.

You you think it makes people hate the minority though?

It certainly doesn't help.

Isn't it simply the case that you cannot have a funeral on a day that already has all slots booked? We had to delay a relative's funeral for that reason. These things happen.

If Hutcliffe Wood are prioritising or running additional slots specifically to accommodate faith requirements, that shows commendable consideration.

I trust the Daily Mail will consider this angle, should they chose to cover this topic.

Yes. If there is no capacity for a funeral and you're told that, no problem. But are people missing the point that in this case the reason given was that no funeral could take place because the deceased was not of a particular religion? The *reason* given is the discriminatory part - the relatives were denied a service that was available to others, purely on the basis of religion. This is contrary to the council's own published policy.

Yes. If there is no capacity for a funeral and you're told that, no problem. But are people missing the point that in this case the reason given was that no funeral could take place because the deceased was not of a particular religion?

I think most people have grasped that - and also, have grasped the fact that councils are supposed to allow religious demands wherever practicable.

Opening on a Saturday so that a body can be buried at the earliest possible date, to satisfy religious demands, seems to me to be practicable. Opening on a Saturday because the family of some guy who died over a week ago think Saturday's a better day to have it, has nothing whatsoever to do with any religion.

Absolute nonsense this is. I have known many funerals take place on saturday, it depends if the slot is available and of course if there is a 'hole in the ground' so to speak ready to accept the coffin. Muslim funerals on Saturday don't take up any other resource, they are carried out at the mosque and the people at the funeral finally lower in the coffin and backfill. Also, the land they use for the burials I am assured has been purchased by them specifically for that reason.

I think most people have grasped that - and also, have grasped the fact that councils are supposed to allow religious demands wherever practicable.

Opening on a Saturday so that a body can be buried at the earliest possible date, to satisfy religious demands, seems to me to be practicable. Opening on a Saturday because the family of some guy who died over a week ago think Saturday's a better day to have it, has nothing whatsoever to do with any religion.

Well said, but some people want to have their cake and eat it.

Absolute nonsense this is. I have known many funerals take place on saturday, it depends if the slot is available and of course if there is a 'hole in the ground' so to speak ready to accept the coffin. Muslim funerals on Saturday don't take up any other resource, they are carried out at the mosque and the people at the funeral finally lower in the coffin and backfill. Also, the land they use for the burials I am assured has been purchased by them specifically for that reason.

Today Sheffield Council confirmed it does not offer funerals at the weekend except to Muslims, in line with the rules of the Islamic faith that the dead must be buried as soon as possible.

Take it up with the Star then if you think its nonsense:)