The best Gluten free places in sheffield!

I've got an app called Coeliac Map, and it shows you where is good for gluten free. Problem is, there aren't so many places on the map. It's up to users to add reviews, and I've put a few up so far. If more people put reviews on, it will be more useful, and easier to find places than reading through this forum.

Here's the link: http://www.coeliacmap.com/

Currently, there's apps for Android and Windows phones, but anyone can use their website.

I need some help - I am having a 'do' and there are GLuten Intolerent people coming - are there any supermarkets that have party food that is gluten free?

I know the cold roast chicken drunsticks are ok, but I don't want to have to look through all the ingredients of ALL the packs in ALL the supermarkets.

Does anyone know what I can get?

Also, I've seen on gluten free sites that 'real cheese' is gluten free, is this just stock standard cheese, or is brie, camembert, smoked, blue et all ok?

Hi Scozzie

Party food is always tricky for gluten-free diets as it's normally got pastry or breadcrumbs on. I know of a good place to order online if you want things like small quiches etc (Lifestyle Healthcare - http://www.gfdiet.com) but I think you might need to order a min of 6 packs, and it'll take a few days to arrive. As for supermarkets, M&S seem to be good (eg small gf sausages). Most supermarkets have free-from sections, which might be a better place to look, rather than checking the ingredients in the normal places.

All cheese of all kinds should be gluten free, unless they've put a crumb or something around it. Most cold meats are gf but check ingredients. Crisps can be hit and miss. Lots that used to be OK now aren't (avoid Walkers, hola hoops, Pringles). More expensive brands seem to be best (Kettle Chips, Tyrrells etc but check packs for individual flavours - these brands are pretty good at labelling and say when they contain gluten).

Veg sticks are always good. Check ingredients of dips. Sandwiches can be made from gf bread (fresh generally nicer than long-life sealed packs). Just be careful what filling you put in and avoid contamination when making.

One important tip is to let your gf guests know what is gf otherwise they'll avoid lots of things that they could have.

Hope your do goes well...

Hi Scozzie

how lovely that you are making an effort to provide for your gluten free guests! I agree with what Tinhob says - M and S is your best bet but Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Co-op and Morrisons all have a Free From aisle - these are marked on the boards above the aisles so most things there are marked GF. You could set out a special tray or table and mark it gluten free if you have a few GF people coming - one of the concerns is will the food be contaminated with gluten if its on a table with everything else - but its easy just to make a tray up that is all GF. Sainsbury's and Tesco do some decent breads so you can make sandwiches - just make sure you keep them (including the butter!) away from the 'normal' stuff. I would be happy for someone to provide a decent plain salad - morrisons or M & S for example do one ready made in a bowl without any dressings and that will be fine, some ham (not breaded), cheese, sliced beef with some coleslaw and potato salad - most will be GF but check and a packet of breadcakes, a new pack of butter (so its not got crumbs in!). if you're doing jackets or chips they are fine - but dont cook anything with gluten in the same oil first! M & S do have a list of what's GF and if you ask an assistant there they will check for you Im sure.

some packet GF biscuits or buns will go down a treat.

hope that helps - its not really too bad to cater for us GFers and hope Ive given you some tips to help make it a good night. Im sure your friend/s will really appreciate your consideration.

or do a chilli and dont add flour and it should be fine with rice!

Gill

Taking this subject and widening it a little: as a newly diagnosed coeliac I am finding shopping for gluten free is very hit and miss especially when looking for things to use in baking and general cooking. What do people think of possible demand for a Gluten Free Shop in a place the size of Sheffield?

Tesco on Spital Hill and ASDA at Parson Cross have a very large variety of GF food!

ASDA i think is the best for the frozen stuff! :) :)

Went into ASDA (Parson Cross) two days ago and they have advent calendars that are 'free from' everything you can think of! :hihi: literally everything!

also it's possible to get GF at Indian restaurants if you pick carefully.

maybe the Cealiac soc provide an info leaflet on eating out?

I recently went to the toby carvery,dronfield.lots of choices for gluten free,staff very knowledgable and they make their own desserts which are gluten free.3 types of crumble and custard,ice cream sundaes and sponge pudding,well worth a visit.

hi all,

Just to report that Pizza Hut in town centre now has the GF option :love::):D

Hoping to taste test tonight so will report back my findings!

Hello,

whats the latest regarding the GF selection,ie chip shops best supermarkets in sheffield and eating out.

i still by Tesco on Spital Hill being the best but it depends what you like...

Went to Italian Kitchen on Sunday on Eccy Road they do GF pasta AMAZING!

Hi, We have been expanding our range of home produced foods made from gluten free ingredients, we have a wide range of cakes, puddings, savoury tarts and generally 2-3 dishes on the specials board that are made with Gluten free ingredients, including pasta, and sometimes curry.We also have Bistro evenings once a month that have a large selection of main courses and puddings to choose from. We are The Old Glasshouse cafe located in the grounds of Gardenstyle, West Lane, Sheffield S6 6SN. details of our April Bistro menu are located on the website. http://www.rhinegoldgardencentre.co.uk. Thanks.

There is a lovely cafe called the Harland cafe, 72 John St, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S2 4QU ‎

0114 273 8553 ‎ · harlandcafe.co.uk

Does fantastic Gluten Free cakes and other bits it's lovely!:love:

Also if you are looking for a really nice restaraunt I would recommend The Wagon and Horses pub, Sheffield Road,

Oxspring, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S36 8YQ

01226 763259

thewaggon-oxspring.co.uk‎! Their food is delicious and they always have Gluten Free options! Plus the Wetherby Waler Lakeside Calder Island Way

Wakefield, West Yorkshire WF2 7AW

01924 365250

Have Gluten Free options although you do have to ask for them!!