Taybarns restaurant - has anyone been?

just been - loads of selection including desserts - im stuffed now

We tried it last week. I hadn't realised that it is what used to be The Wentworth Brewers Fayre pub, not really on the industrial estate at all, just off the main road. It has had a complete makeover, all the children's play areas have gone, it is all devoted to tables and food serving areas. It has been nicely done.

I was impressed by the quantity of food available, there was a good and varied choice, and it all looked very attractive, but once on the plate it was slightly bland and a bit disapointing, mostly tasting as though it had come out of a cheap freezer shop.

The choices were salad bar (lettuce, tomato, potato salad etc), pizzas (two or 3 choices), chicken bar (spicy chicken and plain),barbeque (burgers and kebabs including veg and fish kebabs), chinese (mostly noodles, rice and sweet and sour sauce), carvery (Gammon and turkey when I was there), veg and desert section. There was an icecream bar with chocolate buttons and sweets to decorate with too.

There was no information about what foods were gluten free, although staff were very good about going and finding out what the ingredients were, it did take quite a while for each separate staff member to go off and come back as each only dealt with one section of the food, and there wasn't much left to choose from as even the veg kebabs had a glaze with wheat in it, so I got salad, carvery meats and a fruit salad for desert.

I would go again though, but I would stick to the times when it is £5.95 as £7.95 seems dear for what was on offer, especially with a glass for refillable soft drinks costing £1.95 on top (although water is free). I would expect kids to love it, although parents will have to be careful as there are a lot of people walking round carrying hot foods and drinks, so it would not be a good idea for kids to run about.

The quantity is great, the quality has room for improvement.

seemed quite a bit more variety today - jackets potatoes, chips, sausages, corn on the cob, pasta dishes, soups and bread etc- it only opened last week so maybe they had a few teething problems and will read this thread and take in the comments -

There was soup, chips, sausages and pasta dishes when I was there too, I forgot about those, sorry. I did wonder if they put more choice on when the price is more? Has anyone been at both times to make a comment?

We tried it last week and wasn't overly impressed - although as marshy says you can't go wrong for the money.

There's LOADS of food and you could come out completely stuffed!

Didn't like the atmosphere though - music quite loud and it appeared no one was actually talking over a relaxed meal, but just loads of greedy people stuffing their faces!!! Watched several groups who just sat and ate, and as one person cleared their plate they went for more - didn't even have the social element of going back up to the counter together to get more food!!

HAving said that we'd probably go again if we wanted a cheap meal!

We went on Friday last.Not such bad value for two adults and one child.I did make the mistake of ordering the refillable sodas.We are not such big pop fans so it worked out overpriced for us.Next time we'll stick to water.

It's not fine dining by a long way but all that I had was tasty and well cooked.I avoided the chips and rice etc though.I had mainly fish,meat and salad.

The apple pie and cream was nice as well.

What did put me off was when I saw a customer picking sweets for the ice cream up with her hands.There were scoops for the purpose right next to her as well.I nearly said something but just couldn't be doing with the bother.

On entering it feels a bit like a school canteen, there was certainly plenty of noise and kids. You pay your money and order a drink (soft drinks are free refills which you help yourself to), find a table then grab a plate and wander along the hot-plates / salad bars and fill your plate.

The food was reasonable, some things had been on under the hot lamps for a while and appeared a bit dry but if you're lucky with your timing you'll get it freshly served.

There is something for everyone. Its not a special meal but its pretty good for the money if you eat a reasonable amount.

we went here on sun it was great really impressed, deffo will be back

This place sounds like school dinners for the skint.

People tend to confuse having lots of food and good food. Just because you get served a lot of rubbish food for little money, doesn't make it good.

This place sounds like school dinners for the skint.

People tend to confuse having lots of food and good food. Just because you get served a lot of rubbish food for little money, doesn't make it good.

dont knock it till you tried it, and i wouldnt call it cheap at £8 not expensive but not cheap......... good value for money