Taybarns restaurant - has anyone been?

I've been twice now and I'm never going again.

First time we went (6pm on a weekday), we were crammed onto a table at the corner of two perpendicular rows of seating, I was penned in quite tightly and was struggling to get out from behind the table due to the fact that the next table (full with an overweight family) was pushed that far across. Not withstanding that it was ok.

Went again at the beginning of this week (8pm) and it was even worse.

Waited 5 minutes to get served by some girl who seemed more intent on eyeing up the young lads sat in front of ther bar or chatting to her mate. You're supposed to get a number, had to ask for one as the girl handing out the numbers was too busy chatting to her mate about god only knows what.

Anyway, these things happen, so we waited for a few minutes and our number was called - we got a much better table so things are starting to look up.

Heads over to soup for a starter - now there's supposed to be a choice, but there wasn't, just a container full of green sludge so I thought blow it I'll skip soup and go straight for the normal stuff. And this is where it got ten times worse.

Despite all the bumf about the choice you can have, there was no roast meat at all (despite promoting a choice of two), there was no rotisserie, there were no pizzas, so I ended up having a plate of roast potatoes and beefburgers. Anyway, I thought have these everything should be ok when I go back, wrong.

Went back, still none of the above, and now there's a queue at the chinese as it appears he's the only one with any food. The chap cooking the pizza was now cooking two a time despite the fact that the oven looked big enough to do half a dozen.

Enough was enough and I got my money back, although this was after the 'manager' (if he was that) spoke to me in such a fashion that he was on the verge of throwing me out.

He explained that they 'go down to one soup' after 8 (the second soup tin had been fully cleaned and replaced empty, so that was rubbish).

There was no roast as there had been a rush, and all customers had been informed of this when purchasing (I hadn't and he seemed to not believe me when I told him this), he then said there might be a bit of turkey left if I'd asked (I had and there wasn't, but he justsaid there was no roast - make your mind up man).

There was no Rotisserie as there'd been an error in their delivery that day and they'd tried buying £500 of chicken from Tesco/Morrisons/ASDA and they'd apparently been refused (me I'd have gone to the nearest wholesale butcher, but maybe I have some more intelligence).

The pizza guy would be spoken to to cook more pizzas (we sat in bar to finish off our beer, he didn't and he didn't!).

I suggested that he put up a blackboard at the front of the bar to let people know what they weren't serving, he didn't think it was necessary as this was a rare occurrence - that the case maybe, but if I'm paying £8 for an 'all you can eat buffet' then I want to know what 'all I can eat' I can eat.

Not withstanding all of the above, the soup (based on first visit) is most definitely Heinz, the sausages are Walls and the beefburgers are a cheap BirdsEye imitation.

I'm not saying don't go, but just remember that you get what you pay for, and if you go five minutes down the road you can find a lovely little pub which do home cooked meals for the same price, admittedly not all you can eat, but enough portion to fill you up.

well i personally LOVE taybarns!!!!

There's sooo much to chose from and all for 8 pound, well ten including your drinks, but thats for as much as yuo can eat/drink so i think its amazing!

Inside is nice and modern, yes its a bit noisy but with all the excitement i find it hard to imagine it not being! It's definately not the place to go if you want a formal dinner.

Yeah the pizza can be a bit dry but it will be won't it sat under the hot lamps for a while, that's expected at every buffet.

I think the staff and chefs cope extremely well to say how unbelievably busy they get!!

The past couple of times we've had to wait for a table but it's never been longer than 20 minutes (rather than the 45 they once told us).

I work at Tankersley Manor just up the road and i have to give great credit to the staff at Taybarns as they cope so much better with the stress of a busy restaurant than us lot where i work!!

We went last night and I thought it was really good..Very modern.The food was good last night,plenty of choice,something for everyone.

It's not the place to go if you fancy a cosy meal as it is very busy and casual but it is very good value for money.We will definately be going again. :thumbsup:

http://www.taybarns.com/

We went for lunch to the taybarn today at around 12.15pm. The food was nice and fresh because it hadn't been out very long. I must say I enjoyed tasting a small amount of various foods to see what the quality was like. I found most of them very tasty. I will go again because I think it is good value for money for a quick lunch and the lager is cheaper than our local pubs at £2.10 a pint for Carling

me and my partner think its great there would reccomend it to any one . but went last night food was great . but i paid by my debit card. £19.80 the assistant tried twice to take payment but said 1 didnt go through. but just looked at my bank statement on line . and yes she did take it out twice.i will be complaining today.

Taybarns, at Tankersley roundabout near McDonalds which used to be a WackyWarehouse, Charlie Chalks family pub/dinner with an indoor and outdoor playarea.

£5.95 before 5.00pm and £7.95 afterwards, a fantastic 'eat as much as you like' buffet. :)

Tends to get busy in the evenings, pay first then wait about 20 minutes to be seated. Well worth a visit

Threads merged. Please search before starting a new topic.

Just been with my other half. The concept is good, but food very disappointing.

I had carvery , and we also had some different kebabs, if i'd have closed my eyes i really couldnt have told you what i was tasting. It looked like gammon, potato and carrotts but it all bizarrelly tasted of nothing, very bland and luke warm.

Also despite wearing my coat, it was absolutely freezing !!. On the plus side, staff were really polite and it was clean. If you want to go and get stuffed and arent really bothered about taste then well worth it, if not go to tesco and cook your own lunch !!!

We went recently and I thought it was very good. It was busy but we weren't kept waiting for a table. Very much a rugby scrum for the more "fast food" items but the soup, carvery and dessert were all good.

Bit of a chav magnet though given the manners of some of the people I encountered, but then I have found that to be the case with every all you can eat place I've been to

Arrived at this place by accident last night, planned to go for a carvery at the Tankersley Manor but at 4.30 it was closed for food, so suggested going round the corner to what I recall was Harvest or Brewers Fair.

Initial thoughts were oh heck we going to have a long wait but looking at the price and selection of food thought it would be worth a try. Beer prices surprising reasonable so after not too long a wait we got our table. I thought all the food I ate was excellent and considering you could make it a 3 or even 4 course meal it was superb value. That kind of money often will only get you a carvery and sweets in other pubs are well marked up.

All four of us thought it was good and for families with fussy eating kids it must be heaven - "what you mean you only want pizza and peas?" try ordering the selection of food on one plate you get there in any other pub.

First time for us there yesterday too. Very Americanised, (reminded me of my hols!), the food wasn't brilliant, but its certainly cheap and cheerful.

We arrived at around 3pm and had about a 30 min wait, but I don't think this is for tables, as there were quite a few empty, I think its more of waiting for the food!

Certainly will go again.

Jayne

We tried it last week and wasn't overly impressed - although as marshy says you can't go wrong for the money.

There's LOADS of food and you could come out completely stuffed!

Didn't like the atmosphere though - music quite loud and it appeared no one was actually talking over a relaxed meal, but just loads of greedy people stuffing their faces!!! Watched several groups who just sat and ate, and as one person cleared their plate they went for more - didn't even have the social element of going back up to the counter together to get more food!!

HAving said that we'd probably go again if we wanted a cheap meal!

OMG... cant believe you wud actually go for a meal, sit and watch how the rest of the room chooses to eat, then come n slag em off forrit on ere...mental... if i was at an all you can eat place, trust me id be stuffin it in, not listening to you bore me with your day at work, (where you no doubt sat watching the rest of the workforce so you could slag them off at a later date!!!!!!!) Eat as much as you can for ur 8 quid, thats the whole idea....:rant: