BNP megathread (again)

But what resons were put forward to warrant the venue denying the meeting,it was to held in a closed environment rather than in public,the people who would have attended the meeting were going by choice and more than likely hold the BNP's views.As i stated it is a free choice if you attend,you dont want to listen to it you stay away.

Not disputing any of that glamrock, I dont know the reasons why the committee at Southey decided to cancel the meeting I can only speculate, but I'm guessing that it's a private members club, so the membership can decide who they allow into it, for example I wouldn't allow the BNP to meet at my house, but would still support their right to freedom of speech. All I can say is it was probably an event sanctioned by the steward and once it became public other members and members of the public called to voice their concern.

Regarding your last sentence, you say it's a free choice on whether people chose to attend or not, what sort of reception do you think I would have received if I'd exercised my right to do so??

This could set a precedent in which every venue that is booked for BNP meeting is going to be objected to and Im pretty sure the BNP will be wise to that fact and use it to there advantage.

The general public have every right to object to things that they feel strongly about, that's grass roots democracy at work..the fuel tax protests and recent Unison action bear testimony to that, how the powers that be respond to it is a matter for them, and they will be judged accordingly. I slightly agree with your point about the BNP trying to use it to their advantage, but equally the people who up until now were passive objectors have also been motivated to do something about it.

The club bottled it through obvious outside influences,they must have known what was going to happen prior to booking but I dont think it had has much to do with their own members objections as it had from outside influences.

Well we can only speculate about that and if the club did receive objections from outside influences, provided they weren't political ones, I'm too not too worried about that.

Abu Qatada is known for preaching religious hatred,the majority of the muslim community is supposed to be against religious hatred so surely the BNP's objections were valid.

Preaching religious hatred is a criminal offence and as such the right of freedom of speech in that situation is no longer an issue and that right is forfeited

Nick Griffin is known for preaching religious hatred,the majority of the british community is supposed to be against religious hatred so surely the objections are valid.

They had their meeting:

Quote from the Star:

"Today the BNP's spokesman in Sheffield, Jim Brown, said the meeting went ahead in a secret location which will be used again. He claimed party leader Nick Griffin attended the meeting along with around 150 members of the public.

"We were outraged that we got 1,000 votes from the people of Southey Green in the last council election but they were denied the right to attend one of our meetings in their own community," he said.

Well they had their meeting according to this which sounds as though it was well attended, so I wonder who was denied the right to attend.

Nick Griffin is known for preaching religious hatred,the majority of the british community is supposed to be against religious hatred so surely the objections are valid.

Nick Griifin been ordained then,if has you say he is known for inciting religious hatred on the scale of Abu Qatada surely he would now be serving time on HMP or is this just media spin talking?

NickGriffin for all his faults is not a stupid person so to say that he goes to these meetings to incite religious hatred is a pretty ,in itself,stupid comment to make and to compare him with someone who advocates the killing and maiming of inncent people is just outrageous,He may not want the imigrants here but to infer that he is on par with Abu Qatada is unbelievable and seems to be clutching at straws on your part.

Iv said before Im not a Nick Griffin fan but I wouldnt try and compare him with an obviously evil religious fanatic...out of order

Whilst holding no truck with the BNP it does appear that bully boy tactics have been used to get this meeting cancelled,as far as im concerned free speech is far too important to be sacrificed by ANYONE be they left or right wing.

Those responsible for this ought to be brought to book and made to face the law and be dealt with accordingly,my grand father fought and died for this country so we ALL have the right to live in a free society and not to have some kind of facist or marxist state telling us what we can and cant do.

It matters not one jot if they are BNP, labour, tory or the monster raving loony party,its not acceptable.

Well they had their meeting according to this which sounds as though it was well attended, so I wonder who was denied the right to attend.

I think he means that due to the short notice in which the venue had to be switched the people were denied in the respect of the inability to inform the public,it would have been interesting to see how many people would have actually attended if the change of venue at such short notice had not been forced,maybe thats what the objectors were really afraid of..a sell out attendance that may have shown that people were actually starting to listen to what the BNP has to say

Nick Griifin been ordained then,

Considering the purges that happen to anyone that opposes him, Roger Robertson being the latest example of many, ordained perhaps goes some way to describing the way the party treat him. Democracy it certainly isn't.

if has you say he is known for inciting religious hatred on the scale of Abu Qatada surely he would now be serving time on HMP or is this just media spin talking?

NickGriffin for all his faults is not a stupid person so to say that he goes to these meetings to incite religious hatred is a pretty ,in itself,stupid comment to make and to compare him with someone who advocates the killing and maiming of inncent people is just outrageous,He may not want the imigrants here but to infer that he is on par with Abu Qatada is unbelievable and seems to be clutching at straws on your part.

Iv said before Im not a Nick Griffin fan but I wouldnt try and compare him with an obviously evil religious fanatic...out of order

Take a look at the speech from

, where Nick Griffin talks about Islam being primarily spread by rape.

Whilst the law decided it was insufficient to convict Nick Griffin, the speech was clearly based on a lie and was given to stir up hatred. Which says something about the inadequacy of the law, but also clearly illustrates why people should object to Nick Griffin speaking.

But the point I was making was about the right to protest not legal issues. The BNP condemned the muslim community for allowing Abu Qatada to speak, a legitimate argument except for the fact they did prevent him from speaking. Similarly the public should be applauded for condemning Nick Griffin's speeches and protesting about what he says.

Whilst holding no truck with the BNP it does appear that bully boy tactics have been used to get this meeting cancelled,as far as im concerned free speech is far too important to be sacrificed by ANYONE be they left or right wing.

Those responsible for this ought to be brought to book and made to face the law and be dealt with accordingly,my grand father fought and died for this country so we ALL have the right to live in a free society and not to have some kind of facist or marxist state telling us what we can and cant do.

It matters not one jot if they are BNP, labour, tory or the monster raving loony party,its not acceptable.

How can you take away the freedom to protest and speak out against something, in the name of freedom of speech?

The argument is contradictory.

Regarding your last sentence, you say it's a free choice on whether people chose to attend or not, what sort of reception do you think I would have received if I'd exercised my right to do so??

It'd be interesting to see if anyone from the BNP, or who's sympathetic towards them would take a crack at answering this one......from my recollection of the 'black DJ incident' the answer would not be hugely positive...:hihi: