Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

Nowadays, much of the highways funding is devolved to local assemblies, so it is local Councillors who make the decisions.

The officers have to bring forward a proposal, or there is nothing to consult on. Once the consultation is done, the officers have to give the Councillors a recommendation on the course of action to be followed. The Councillors do not have to follow the recommendation if they don't want to and I've seen it happen many times that they don't.

The Councillors who take the decisions are given reports which detail all the consultation responses and discuss the issues which are raised. Many changes are made to schemes like a permit parking zone in response to issues raised in consultation, these are also detailed in reports to Councillors. On many occasions, people who want to rise an issue attend the decision making meetings and speak to the Councillors.

It's often the case that those whose view doesn't carry the argument claim they have been ignored. I have to say that this is simply not true. The decision makers can't please everyone.

Its all well and good saying that the public can submit counter arguments against plans contained within consultations, however, I think that its clear from the postings made on A61 / Yorkshire Water thread how the views of Joe Public are treated in such instances.

Its all well and good saying that the public can submit counter arguments against plans contained within consultations, however, I think that its clear from the postings made on A61 / Yorkshire Water thread how the views of Joe Public are treated in such instances.

The A61 Yorkshire water issue is temporary road works, hardly the same thing as permit parking.

There is ample evidence from implemented permit schems like Hillsborough and Sherrow Vale that th Council listens to consultation responses and makes significcant changes to proposals where the majority want them.

One of my friends on Taplin Road has applied for a Permit but not received it yet. She's now having to drive to work, instead of using puiblic transport, for fear of getting a parking fine.

#FAIL

Get her to phone 0114 2735469 and ask where it is.

There is ample evidence from implemented permit schems like Hillsborough and Sherrow Vale that th Council listens to consultation responses and makes significcant changes to proposals where the majority want them.

You should rephrase it to - makes significant changes to the proposals where the majorities wishes are the same as the councils...

We had this discussion - if only 1 person votes, then they are a majority - and they WILL get ignored.

I think it's absurd people living on a said street should pay for a permit to park outside their own home, taking into account that they already pay rates, road taxi etc, however, if the permit was free for one car per house it would be a fairer scheme but this would affect income to the council, why are the council taking this action anyway, on what basis?

why are the council taking this action anyway, on what basis?

Because local people asked them to

You should rephrase it to - makes significant changes to the proposals where the majorities wishes are the same as the councils...

You of all people should know that isn't true.

You know as well as I do that if the majority on a street ask to be left out of a scheme, they are. Is that not a significant enough change for you?

They are left out if a majority ask for this, however it is reviewed frequently so requires repeat petitions. It is not a probationary period to which you can opt out as first thought! Which ever roads have these permits they are now permanent. But you can opt on at any time, funny that! In the papers other week that council are not meeting targets with these schemes people are a little naive if they think costs won t increase over time.

They are left out if a majority ask for this, however it is reviewed frequently so requires repeat petitions. It is not a probationary period to which you can opt out as first thought! Which ever roads have these permits they are now permanent. But you can opt on at any time, funny that! In the papers other week that council are not meeting targets with these schemes people are a little naive if they think costs won t increase over time.

All of the permit schemes have a review period a year or so after being implemented, so that any necessary changes can be made.

I don't believe anyone has ever said that the implementation of one of these schemes would be for a "probationary period". They cost very large amounts of money to put in, so of course they are designed to be permanent.

The A61 Yorkshire water issue is temporary road works, hardly the same thing as permit parking.

I understand that the A61 Yorkshire Water issue is different to parking permits.

I was referring to this thread because of the way that you dismiss peoples views and question the right that they have to make comments. If your stance is the attitude of the planning department it is a very sorry state of affairs.

You state that changes are made where 'the majority want them'. Could you be kind enough to provide details of where the majority of people indicated their support of the Hillsborough scheme?

Because local people asked them to

Evidence please.

does anyone know if the parking that used to be 2hrs free on Limbrick Close is now pay or free ? cant make it out on the map its seems to be the grey coloured area but not too sure and the street markings are not very clear.