Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

It takes a large amount of it

You're easily amazed.

As you would expect, with vastly increasing car use comes a vast increase in the problems that cars cause. Some of the means by which those problems are mitigated mean that not all traffic movements can be maintained on all roads. None of it is exclusive to Sheffield, it's exactly the same as you see in every major town and city.

Why?

More like trebled, but as HotPhil says, hardly a typical journey.

Thousands of cars probably go a completely different route to the one you describe if they want to access Hillsborough. The tram gates have been in place for what, 17 years? They've had plenty of time to work it out.

If you cared a jot about pollution and air quality, would you be driving a conventional car? Where the introduction of the tram gates might have increased traffic on some routes, it has certainly reduced it on others. anyone remember the huge queues that used to develop on Langsett Rd out of city towards Hillsboro Corner? The tram also attracts a lot of car drivers onto a more sustainable and less polluting travel mode, so it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

Does someone force these people to make the illegal turn? There is a perfectly legal alternative, they are just too lazy and selfish to use it.

Remember some of us live in places where there is no public transport handy, and need to go a fair distance to work early in a morning.Hybrid cars are very expensive to buy and i cant afford one.To say anybody who drives a conventional car doesnt care about air quality and pollution is just not on.I drive because its my only real alternative to get to work.And dont say well move then as i could be transferred to another area of south yorkshire at any time its part of my work contract.Why so concerned about all this if you dont work for the council.

Dualling of Penistone Road does not take all of the through traffic though.

With car ownership and useage increasing, the councils answer is to........restrict the roads that can be used! Amazing.

The bus/tram gate have been a disaster for Holme Lane, especially since enforcement of the gates commenced.

Take a simple trip to say Hillsborough Place from Langsett Road, going past Hillsborough Barracks top entrance.

A simple journey (past Wetherspoons, accross Bradfield Road/Holme Lane junction, turn left at Hillsborough Place) at say 2.50pm becomes a nightmare at 3.05pm.

Instead of going the direct, shortest route the journey now becomes:

- Turn left on Ripley Street

- Turn right onto Walkley Lane

- Turn left onto Holme Lane

- Turn right onto Beachwood Road

- Turn right onto Taplin Road

- Turn Right onto Haden Street

- Turn left onto Holme Lane

- Turn left onto Middlewood Road

- Turn left onto Hillsborough Place

A simple journey has its distance doubled? trebled?

This is the scenario for thousands of cars every day that want to access Hillsborough.

More congestion, more air pollution, illegal right turns at the end of Walkley Lane.

No wonder the roads are clogged up with these enforced detours.

Wouldn't it be easier too stop on Taplin Road and just turn right at its junction with Hillsborough Place.

Hillsborough Place Runs Between Taplin Road and Holme Lane

It would be easier. But that wouldn't hammer home the hypothetical exaggerated point 8)

Remember some of us live in places where there is no public transport handy, and need to go a fair distance to work early in a morning.Hybrid cars are very expensive to buy and i cant afford one.To say anybody who drives a conventional car doesnt care about air quality and pollution is just not on.I drive because its my only real alternative to get to work.And dont say well move then as i could be transferred to another area of south yorkshire at any time its part of my work contract.Why so concerned about all this if you dont work for the council.

Public transport isn't the most suitable form of transport for everyone. I've never said it is. The truth is that most people have alternatives to car use, they just don't choose use them.

I really do find it hypocritical when car drivers start to moan about extra pollution and effects on air quality arising from something the Council have done to try to address the problems caused by those very drivers.

Do you ever think about the pollution, air quality problems and environmental damage the rest of your car use causes?

The extra mileage you do as a result of the Council's traffic management measures is probably very small compared to your overall usage. Many of the measures that people moan about (one way systems, banned turns etc) are put in place to keep traffic moving better and reduce environmental pollution / harmful emissions.

Why am I interested? I used to work for the Council and I used to deal with many of the issues being raised. I can also access the most up to date information through my contacts at the Council, which enables me to answer some of the questions raised and give some insight into why the Council implements the measures that they do and what they are trying to achieve.

That's one fairly unrepresentative journey. I doubt thousands of cars a day want to go from Morrison's to Hillsborough Place. Certainly fewer people than get the bus/tram through Hillsborough.

But how many want to cross Bradfield Road/ Holme Lane junction daily, heading towards Hillsborough Park?

I sometimes get the Tram from Malin Bridge towards town in the morning. Usually it queues all the way along Holme Lane to Hillsborough corner . Why? Because of the volume of cars joining Holme Lane from side roads, cars that mostly have to come off Middlewood Road to avoid the Tram Gate.

Wouldn't it be easier too stop on Taplin Road and just turn right at its junction with Hillsborough Place.

Hillsborough Place Runs Between Taplin Road and Holme Lane

Thats Haden Street. Hillsborough Place is the road where the fishmongers is.

It would be easier. But that wouldn't hammer home the hypothetical exaggerated point 8)

No it wouldn't - Hillsborough Place is one way from Middlewood Road.

But if you were on Taplin Road already, you can turn right in to Hillsborough Place rather than heading back to Holme Lane, down, left etc

Edit. Unless you mean the tiny bit that has the fishmonger's on. Oh, you do. That's an even more unlikely journey then.

But how many want to cross Bradfield Road/ Holme Lane junction daily, heading towards Hillsborough Park?

I sometimes get the Tram from Malin Bridge towards town in the morning. Usually it queues all the way along Holme Lane to Hillsborough corner . Why? Because of the volume of cars joining Holme Lane from side roads, cars that mostly have to come off Middlewood Road to avoid the Tram Gate.

Having got that tram every morning for some time, I can say that's not the reason it queues down Holme Lane.

But if you were on Taplin Road already, you can turn right in to Hillsborough Place rather than heading back to Holme Lane, down, left etc

Edit. Unless you mean the tiny bit that has the fishmonger's on. Oh, you do. That's an even more unlikely journey then.

Walked down earlier to get the bus to Broomhill & realised that I'd got Hillsborough Place and Hillsborough Road mixed up. I've only been in Hillsborough 16 years!

Sorry HotPhil and Alpha24. I just hope Planner1 does not arrange a £35 for the error.:)

The journey decribed to Hillsborough Road, where the fishmonger is, may be an unlikely journey. Virtually the same route (not turning onto Hillsborough Road) would need to be taken by anyone wanting to access Middlewood Road from Langsett Road when Tram Gates are in operation.

Having got that tram every morning for some time, I can say that's not the reason it queues down Holme Lane.

Probably not the only reason. But it doesn't help matters.

Cars are nearly always coming down Hillsborough Place (sussed it now!) to join Holme Lane.

Must admit I tend to agree with BoroB here. Going along Holme Lane towards Malin Bridge in the evening, most of the congestion is caused by two things: firstly the lights at the end of Ball Road, and secondly the number of people wanting to turn right into the side roads along Holme Lane. If the tram gate wasn't there, a lot of those right turners wouldn't be on Holme Lane in the first place (because they're actually heading out towards Middlewood), and neither would most of the traffic queueing behind them as a lot of it comes down Walkley Lane from Crookes/Walkley and then has no option again but to turn left onto Holme Lane. The fact that plenty of people perform illegal right turns at the bottom of Walkley Lane should tell you that they really want to go out towards Middlewood: some turn right illegally, some go down Holme Lane and turn right, and some go all the way out to Malin Bridge, round the roundabout and back again, but they all want to go somewhere that the council won't let them.