Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

But they never justify their decisions to the people who elected them. If they turned round and said 88% of people did not actively want the scheme (as happened in the Sharrowvale Scheme) but we implemented it anyway, what sort of response would they get?

Also, in a lot of cases they don't even take them on board as they don't bother recording them even when they are presented in a council convened meeting.

As you well know, the number of responses to consultation is generally low and you can argue that the silent majority support or don't support your point of view until you are blue in the face. The only information that the Council have to go on is the actual responses.

You've mentioned the meeting at which they failed to note your comments twice now. Both times I have responded that my belief is that you also gave your responses to the consultation in writing, so the Council had them anyway. You haven't commented on this. Would you care to confirm or deny this?

From your spurious arguement, if 1 person out of 1000 houses responded, and the others didn't (perhaps because they were students and the consultation took place when they weren't in residence, or away on holiday), then that 1 person's views would be implemented - rubbish!!!

If only one person responded, the decision makers would draw whatever they wished from that response and make the decision they felt was best in the circumstances.

Carrying out a consultation does not imply that you are carrying out a ballot and that the view with the most votes wins. Consultation is a means of allowing the decision makers an insight into local views and issues.

Consultations and ballots are different things as you know very well, because both were used in Sharrow Vale.

The Councillors who make the decisions have a difficult job. They have to think strategically and take the best decision for the city as a whole.

..and just where did that statistic come from Litotes?? The real truth is that of those who responded to the consultation, a majority were in favour. Numerous minor adjustments were made to the details of the scheme, but in reality there must have been a consensus in favour - otherwise the scheme would not have proceeded.

As with the Hillsborough scheme, some streets had a majority of responses against the scheme and they were omitted. Not surprisingly, some of those streets decided they wanted to be back in the scheme when it was reviewed some time later, - mainly due to displacement parking following implementation.

The thing about consultations and the council is that the reponses are used to support the result that the council have already decided upon.

200 people reply to the consultation and 90% of them are against the proposals? Well, only a small number of people replied so that can not be representative of the population.

However, if 200 reply and 90% of them are in favour of the proposals? Well, its clear that the vast majority of the public support the scheme.

If only one person responded, the decision makers would draw whatever they wished from that response and make the decision they felt was best in the circumstances.

Carrying out a consultation does not imply that you are carrying out a ballot and that the view with the most votes wins. Consultation is a means of allowing the decision makers an insight into local views and issues.

Consultations and ballots are different things as you know very well, because both were used in Sharrow Vale.

The Councillors who make the decisions have a difficult job. They have to think strategically and take the best decision for the city as a whole.[/QUOTE]

The problem with this is that a parking permit scheme may be in say Hillsborough, will affect hundreds of people daily, yet the decision on whether to implement it may be decided by the vote of one councillor from say Mosborough.

The councillors voting on the decision usually rely upon assertions made by planning officers who have made their mind up before the consultation begins.

Consultation is a means of allowing the decision makers an insight into local views and issues? Sounds like those that support the proposal are taken into account and those that are against it are ignored.

I live on taplin road and it takes the p**s to get parked between 8am and 6pm and I get charged to
Really? I always find Taplin Road very easy to find a space on during the day. Maybe not right outside any particular house, but within a few metres.

Both times I have responded that my belief is that you also gave your responses to the consultation in writing, so the Council had them anyway. You haven't commented on this. Would you care to confirm or deny this?

I gave my responses in writing, but at the meeting in question I raised an additional issue, in which I specifically asked for my request for my street to be balloted to be minuted.

Neither occurrence happened - the council once again listening to only what it wants to hear.

As an additional aside, I wrote to my (then) local councillor and asked him to represent me to the decision panel in objecting to the plans.

His response... 'I am not on that panel, so I cannot pass on your comments.'

<removed> chocolate teapot - he was elected to represent his electorate and yet again the council decided to ignore the people who pay their wages.

It was at that point that I decided to move out of the area.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
masked swearing removed

The problem with this is that a parking permit scheme may be in say Hillsborough, will affect hundreds of people daily, yet the decision on whether to implement it may be decided by the vote of one councillor from say Mosborough.

Nowadays, much of the highways funding is devolved to local assemblies, so it is local Councillors who make the decisions.

The councillors voting on the decision usually rely upon assertions made by planning officers who have made their mind up before the consultation begins.

The officers have to bring forward a proposal, or there is nothing to consult on. Once the consultation is done, the officers have to give the Councillors a recommendation on the course of action to be followed. The Councillors do not have to follow the recommendation if they don't want to and I've seen it happen many times that they don't.

Consultation is a means of allowing the decision makers an insight into local views and issues? Sounds like those that support the proposal are taken into account and those that are against it are ignored.

The Councillors who take the decisions are given reports which detail all the consultation responses and discuss the issues which are raised. Many changes are made to schemes like a permit parking zone in response to issues raised in consultation, these are also detailed in reports to Councillors. On many occasions, people who want to rise an issue attend the decision making meetings and speak to the Councillors.

It's often the case that those whose view doesn't carry the argument claim they have been ignored. I have to say that this is simply not true. The decision makers can't please everyone.

Really? I always find Taplin Road very easy to find a space on during the day. Maybe not right outside any particular house, but within a few metres.

I agree, I met my friend there today for coffee at 10am, she got parked directly opposite Buttercup, and there were plenty of spaces for all the two hours we were in the area. So anyone with a resident's pass should have had no trouble.

Just wandering around Hillsborough at lunchtime and i've never seen so many empty parking spaces on the streets, are people avoiding the area ?

Just wandering around Hillsborough at lunchtime and i've never seen so many empty parking spaces on the streets, are people avoiding the area ?

I would guess so. I know I stopped shopping in Broomhill when permits started there. But I've read that the area benefitted from that scheme. I must be in a minority, but I will avoid anywhere I have to pay to park whenever possible.

To my mind, the last thing Hillsborough shops need is a reason for people to avoid them.

Of course the counter argument is that time limited spaces create greater churn so it might be easier to find a space. But that could be achieved without a permit scheme.

The only actual evidence I've seen that people have changed their travel patterns as a result of these schemes is those people on here who say that they don't go to the areas any more. Result!

One of my friends on Taplin Road has applied for a Permit but not received it yet. She's now having to drive to work, instead of using puiblic transport, for fear of getting a parking fine.

#FAIL