Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

Amazing really how you can still try to put a positive spin on it.

There's always more than one way of looking at things!

You can't escape the fact that even at the proposed higher price, permits will still be 43% cheaper than when they were first introduced.

As others on here have said already, many people in the permit areas think it's well worth the cost.

There's always more than one way of looking at things!

You can't escape the fact that even at the proposed higher price, permits will still be 43% cheaper than when they were first introduced.

As others on here have said already, many people in the permit areas think it's well worth the cost.

They may be cheaper than when first introduced but they are yet another money making exercise for the council.

If they are not a money making exercise but are designed to ease parking why not issue them free of charge?

They may be cheaper than when first introduced but they are yet another money making exercise for the council.

If they are not a money making exercise but are designed to ease parking why not issue them free of charge?

here here, i think the planner is trying to use jedi mind tricks into thinking its good to pay, we're not all brainwashed!

Why do you think the Council want money, it's in order to deliver the services that people want.

As I have said, you could issue them free but there is still a cost associated with implementing and running the permit schemes, which means the amount of money available for other things would be less.

here here, i think the planner is trying to use jedi mind tricks into thinking its good to pay, we're not all brainwashed!

Pay you will. Turn away from the dark side Joiner Andy.

Yep, everyone with a brain knew this would happen. And people are going to have to pay to park in Hillsborough park as well, so much for free public spaces... We said NO in my street which is now on the edge of the permit area. Good work for all the silly people who thougth it would give them the right to park in front of their houses... now they have to pay whatever the council says and we will get many more people trying to park in our street.

Thanks a lot!

Why do you think the Council want money, it's in order to deliver the services that people want.

As I have said, you could issue them free but there is still a cost associated with implementing and running the permit schemes, which means the amount of money available for other things would be less.

So the concil want money to implement schemes that people don't want?

No scheme = no permits = no costs incurred. Simples.

Perhaps Planner 1 could explain the doubling of the costs of the permits?

So the concil want money to implement schemes that people don't want?

No scheme = no permits = no costs incurred. Simples.

Perhaps Planner 1 could explain the doubling of the costs of the permits?

Plenty of people do want permit schemes. They are introduced in areas where people ask for them.

The original cost of permits was £35. the proposed £20 is still 43% cheaper than the original price.

The previous Lib-Dem administration dropped the permit price to £10 because that suited their political agenda. There have been huge cuts in public expenditure. The government have imposed massive cuts in highway funding. Naturally, the Council are looking to maximise their income, in order to protect services. The proposed cost is still nowhere near the original price.

Plenty of people do want permit schemes. They are introduced in areas where people ask for them.

The original cost of permits was £35. the proposed £20 is still 43% cheaper than the original price.

The previous Lib-Dem administration dropped the permit price to £10 because that suited their political agenda. There have been huge cuts in public expenditure. The government have imposed massive cuts in highway funding. Naturally, the Council are looking to maximise their income, in order to protect services. The proposed cost is still nowhere near the original price.

You'll find theres another thread that shows that the council had plans to introduce permit schemes as far back as 2000? They are introduced to raise funds,

Thank you for pointing out that the proposed £20 is still 43% cheaper than the original price. I think you'll find it was free to park before permit schemes were introduced.

You defend the price rises by stating that :Naturally, the Council are looking to maximise their income, in order to protect services

As the permit schemes are not a statutory service that the council has to provide, your statemtent supports the argument that the permits are a money raising excercise.

You defend the price rises by stating that :Naturally, the Council are looking to maximise their income, in order to protect services

what's actually wrong with doing that?

You'll find theres another thread that shows that the council had plans to introduce permit schemes as far back as 2000? They are introduced to raise funds,

Thank you for pointing out that the proposed £20 is still 43% cheaper than the original price. I think you'll find it was free to park before permit schemes were introduced.

As the permit schemes are not a statutory service that the council has to provide, your statemtent supports the argument that the permits are a money raising excercise.

Yes, I know the Council have had plans to introduce permit schemes for many years. I was the lead officer for permit schemes.

They are not introduced to raise funds and you will not find any Council documentation anywhere which supports that view. They are introduced for several reasons:

• because local people want them
  • to deter commuter parking
  • to deal with the detrimental impacts of inappropriate parking

The Council's initial priorities were around the Peripheral Parking Zone, around the city centre, but, there was also strong demand for permit schemes in several district shopping centres. Of those, Hillsborough was the one which was requested most often.

Yes, parking schemes produce income. This helps support Council services. Is that a bad thing?

Yes, I know the Council have had plans to introduce permit schemes for many years. I was the lead officer for permit schemes.

They are not introduced to raise funds and you will not find any Council documentation anywhere which supports that view. They are introduced for several reasons:

• because local people want them
  • to deter commuter parking
  • to deal with the detrimental impacts of inappropriate parking

The Council's initial priorities were around the Peripheral Parking Zone, around the city centre, but, there was also strong demand for permit schemes in several district shopping centres. Of those, Hillsborough was the one which was requested most often.

Yes, parking schemes produce income. This helps support Council services. Is that a bad thing?

Yes it's a bad thing. If the council wish to raise revenue, they should be more honest and tax people. Of course they won't do that because they'd have to deal with the political fall out which this would incur. What this Labour council are doing is targeting areas where they think they can gain more money by stealth. Not only is this an underhand tactic, this and other measures are also bad for local economies.

In my view it's no coincidence that Labour have been in power when these schemes and lower speed limits have been introduced. Still no money to raise any limits or pick up the litter or fix the roads though. It's a disgrace.