Discussion or Lynch mob - why can't we have a proper debate on Sheffield forum?

Yes, that's very similar to what the church's attitude to science used to be. (Oh, and there's only about 250 years' worth of scientific evidence for anything.)

Here's a point which fascinates me - true science is based on hypotheses which have not yet been disproved. If the hypothesis is 'God exists', this has not yet been disproved. True science does not postulate negative hypotheses (ie 'God does not exist') so an alternative hypothesis could be 'Science can explain everything' which it is incredibly easy to disprove.

I do think there's a difference between putting forward valid arguments against something you don't agree with and attacking someone's beliefs and even though I don't believe in a single nubbin of god or spiritualism I'd only get into a debate on the point with someone who wanted that debate.

If someone wants to believe in fairies I'm quite happy for them, as long as they don't expect me to waste my time running round the bottom of the garden with them.

Folk were burned at the stake for claiming the world was a sphere.

Guest Mod_Man

If you start a thread, whatever it may be, remember that not every one will agree with you. I have started many slightly controversial threads where people have been quite rude but that's what I expect when I start these types of threads. If someone was to post any old mumbo jumbo and not allow any criticism then SF would be very boring.

On the medium front, you say you hear them and want people to believe, prove it. That's usually all people want. Instead no you start a thread calling people who don't agree lynch mobs.

To those who think SF has changed for the worse, why not do as you used to suggest others do, leave. Has SF changed because people answer you back now JoeP or has the quality of thread suddenly dropped. A few weeks back you mentioned the bullying mob yet didn't provide any decent proof. I fear some people just like to label things or people as no fun any more or bullies purely because their status as SF's golden ones seems to be dwindling. No one forces anybody to use SF and I personally think it's a cracking indicator of public opinion.

sacredearth, I don't want to sound too disparaging but are you just having a moan for having your views challenged?

To be fair to both yourself and those who have criticised you would probably have been better served by posting a 'help a medium' type thread in a forum aimed at mediums rather than one that tries to be all things to all people. SF isn't really somewhere that you can expect to have the place to yourself to express views on matters such as mediums / witch's / etc, without a critique.

I was just trying to get the information to as many people as possible. But like I said this isn't about the mediumship. It seems that a lot of people can be quite nasty to others in general i.e. saying that if you live in a certain area than you must fall into a certain catergorie. believe me after being a medium all my life and working in the field for 45 years I have become quite thick skinned. I am open to constructive criticism but not downright rudeness.

I would have thought that if this forum is all things to all people then it is a good a place as any to reach certin areas of the community.

Not having a dig at anybody, just saying that sometimes the debate can become quite one sided and nasty.

Hi Brenda, I bring tend to bring my own firelighters , wood and matches when I go into a debate ... saves time...lol I am also a witch, a Medium, Writer, a darn good cake maker, married to a Southerner, he's from Surrey, not London, though most can't tell the difference , and grandaughter of a Romany, so make me according to some a pikey, a ****, a theif as well as fraudster, delusional, etc.... though I am in Lower Arbouthorne area, (which magically has according to some estate agents is now become Heeley) , just wanted say hi! :)

Hi Shullie nice to meet you;)

Yes, common sense also plays a part and I would have thought if someone was a professional in such a controversial area one might have thicker skin. I realise heysay did go at it a bit but frankly I didn't see anyone posting in agreement in even an analogous sense with the OP.

Personally I think posting about your services doesn't belong anywhere other than adverts and if the OP had posted in the correct place she wouldn't have attracted the same amount of open hostility.

Sometimes it how you say things, rather than what you say.

I wasn't actually advertising my services I was trying to let people know about the new legislations. I am not looking for clients, please read the original post About Legislation for Mediums and Healers. Thank you

Oh and by the way the handle is Sacred Earth not Scared Earth.

Thanks

It's also Parson Cross, not Parsons Cross. :hihi:

But, yeah, I agree with what you're saying.

Yes, that's very similar to what the church's attitude to science used to be. (Oh, and there's only about 250 years' worth of scientific evidence for anything.)

I do think there's a difference between putting forward valid arguments against something you don't agree with and attacking someone's beliefs and even though I don't believe in a single nubbin of god or spiritualism I'd only get into a debate on the point with someone who wanted that debate.

If someone wants to believe in fairies I'm quite happy for them, as long as they don't expect me to waste my time running round the bottom of the garden with them.

I don't believe in God and I am not a spiritualist, so I bet that will get a few people confused. I am smack bang in the middle. I get stick from people who don't believe and stick from people who do.

Sacredearth, as you 'believe' in the 'supernatural', and as you profit from your 'beliefs', it is reasonable for me to assume that you are either out-of-touch with reality, and therefore not fully responsible for what you do, or that you make your living by exploiting vulnerable fools!

I have never exploited anybody and if you can call an average of 1 reading a week a living then the cost of living must have dropped drastically without me noticing

Phew.

When I read that first, I thought you said you were a Muslim!

I'm an XL. Must go out and do some exercise :-d

Probably be thought better of if I was

Guest Mod_Man
I don't believe in God and I am not a spiritualist, so I bet that will get a few people confused.

Don't worry I'm not intent on lynching you but on the other thread you said you just heard things. Could this be some form of schizophrenia?

Do you believe in an after life?

Don't worry I'm not intent on lynching you but on the other thread you said you just heard things. Could this be some form of schizophrenia?

Do you believe in an after life?

Answers to your questions

No

and I don't know

Guest Mod_Man
Answers to your questions

No

and I don't know

If you don't know, how can you be certain you're a medium? How can you be certain the voices aren't internal, rather than other beings as being a medium would suggest?