Beautiful House Being Trashed

ukdavvy

I don't actually know which house is being talked about because I don't know that area at all, but I think it's a shame when old, beautiful buildings are knocked down or converted into offices or flats when they'd look much better in their original state as houses.

I always think how nice it would be to have the buildings in Paradise Square, for example, as houses rather than solicitors' offices - how big and amazing they could be inside if restored to their original state.

A bit of a pointless post, but the topic reminded me of this!

Its happening all over. All the beautiful buildings being pulled down to make way for 'a sad excuse for apartments'. Monstrous looking things. What happened to preserving our heritage? But then again look what they did with London Bridge- stuck it in the middle of a desert.:rolleyes:

Isn't there enough empty places in Sheffield to build things, every where you look buildings have already being pulled down and left. Why can't they build on them places instead of pulling down our history just to make a quick buck.:mad:

Originally posted by Tony

Well Nick is correct in saying that they can quite rightly demolish the house. No planning permission is needed.

If that's true, then it's a crying shame that should be addressed. If wantonly pulling down a beautiful house isn't sheer vandalism, I don't know what is.

In another thread, I referred to a beautiful house near where I live, that has been distorted and defaced by its new owners, by adding a horrible conservatory and putting up walls everywhere. It was a local thing of beauty, now it's just an eyesore. I feel sad every time I walk past it. :(

It was a house that was loved - now that love has gone

StarSparkle :rant:

Originally posted by gemma86

I always think how nice it would be to have the buildings in Paradise Square, for example, as houses rather than solicitors' offices - how big and amazing they could be inside if restored to their original state.

I think this neatly demonstrates the point that Joe Public can only ever have a faint grasp on the planning system.

Paradise Square, for all its loveliness and quaint charm, was actually houses and shops. Most of the shop fronts were filled in a few years ago, and the inside of the houses gutted to form solicitors offices.

It was also a pretty crabby part of town in its day, with well known scruffy pubs / brothels around and about. The buildings themselves are pretty poorly and cheaply built.

The Square currently is a dark and threatening place to work at night, and its charm is preventing adequate lighting being installed to provide (mainly female) workers with safe streets.

Originally posted by Greybeard

Interesting that even Fulwood isn't immune from the 'apartment block' disease :D

Fulwood's full of apartment blocks from the 50s and 60s.

This continued spread of apartment blocks into the suburbs is worrying. Historical buildings are being replaced by "knocked up in 2 months" blocks of faceless, modern apartments. They ruin part of what makes the areas desirable to begin with.