Childhood illnesses, jabs and operations

You can also get room humidifiers from Argos, which is a little more effective than towels for dampening the room.

And do just put a sheet or something under the mattress at the head of the cot to raise the head...

I would agree, listen to your instincts, and if you're concerned, take the little 'un back to the doctors - maybe ask to see a different one if you think that one won't listen. But also bear in mind how bad it can sound to us when our little ones are coughing...worse than it is, sometimes.

Good luck, hope the little one feels better soon.

Thanks for your advice, I've raised his mattress up a bit and also put a damp towel on the radiator! I just don't trust our doctors anymore since they mis-diagnosed my daughter when she was 9 months old (they said she had a virus when it turned out she had meningitis), so I tend to over react that bit more nowadays. Hopefully his cough will get better, it's just horrible to hear him coughing so much! :sad:

Hi all, my 9 month old son has got a nasty chesty cough with his cold, I have had him to the doctors and all they say is give him calpol and that nurofen stuff and they just don't seem bothered :loopy: Is there anything else I can give him to soothe his cough as it is waking him up at night. Thanks in advance.

Our little one has been troubled with this its a sort of catarral cough. We have found Tixylix chesty cough night time helps her get a better nights sleep but it doesnt cure it!

We also put Vicks vapour rub on her chest.

Sometimes we also use Ashtons and Parsons Teething powders as she gets this catarrh/cough when she is teething. These powders are camomile and very soothing.

Ive just started to give Freya honey too, but she is 13 months. Your little one cant have it yet as they have to be 12 months old.

Glad to hear it went all right, yellowrose.

Sounds like they haven't quite got their policies together, yet.

Either that, or as usual, because I dont look particularly old they just assume Im her mum and I dont correct them unless they mention it specifically.

Or it could even be that the computer has all the info on. Unusual I admit.

We recently bought a plug in thing which releases menthol vapours, which might help your son. I think it was called Kalvor or similar and was next to all the baby stuff in my local Tesco's. I haven't used it yet, as my Daughter's cough cleared up before I found it, but I have it in ready for next time.

I was once told to run a red hot bath, close the door to keep in the steam and sit in the bathroom for a while.

That's the same principle as humidifying the room- and the really hot bath, steamy bathroom scenario is more usually recommended for croup, which is more of a breathing difficulty than a cough.

Hi there, just wondering if any of you have any experience of baby eczema? My 6 month boy has had a little on his face since he was a couple of months old, but it is now spreading to chest / arms / legs. He is being weaned, but the types of food he eats do not seem to affect the eczema - it just gets better or worse quite randomly. I have been using E45 cream and emollient and initially that seemed to help, but not so much any more. Baby jellyfish couldn't get to sleep tonight and was scratching his forehead a lot. Also when we went to bath him we discovered that some eczema around his nipple had weeped a little and stained his vest. I'm going to take him to the health visitor this week - but would like to avoid steroid creams.

I have heard that babies tend to grow out of this and it's quite common, but obviously I would like to do something to ease it for him...:confused:

Anyone had similar...??