Childhood illnesses, jabs and operations

Well the increase in meds has made no difference at all. He is still terrified and paranoid and up most of the night. And to top it all off he is now excluded from school. It just gets better! :loopy:

I wouldn't expect there to be a change in 3 days, though.

Give it a week or so.

As a last resort to get him to sleep and for me to have some sleep he was prescribed a few days of diazepam yesterday. Gave him the tab and he was fast asleep by 8:30pm Yippeee!!!

Shame he was awake again by 9:45pm. he never slept for more than half an hour before he was either awake and out of bed again or shouting that he had seen or heard something.

Back to square one!

Does anyone know if Diazepam is supposed to be an 'instant' thing ie: you take it and you sleep well that night or does it have to build up over a couple of nights? It's only a small dose of 1mg per night.

Also, does anyone have any info, preferably first hand experience of taking risperidone? That looks a likely next step.

I think diazepam is fairly instantaneous, its a relaxant. I didnt think it was that widely prescribed these days (you know its valium dont you?) But it might become more effective after he has had a couple of nights worth as there may be a bit of a build up in his bloodstream. On the other hand he might just get used to it! Its not like an antidepressant which would take a couple of weeks at least to see a difference. I dont know risperidone, so cant help.

I've no experience with diazepam in children, but my mum was given some (can't remember if it was 2mg or 5mg) whilst in hospital recently, and they made her really quite ill. She was sick and very disorientated, which made her feel frightened. Yellowrose is right in saying the effects are almost immediate.

I have just taken my granddaughter for her MMR and pneumacoccal (whatever!) and I was pleased to say my authority wasnt questioned. I was a bit nervous when I read this thread as I didnt want to go through the lengthy explanation or make two visits. (See my earlier post for details).

Hi all, my 9 month old son has got a nasty chesty cough with his cold, I have had him to the doctors and all they say is give him calpol and that nurofen stuff and they just don't seem bothered :loopy: Is there anything else I can give him to soothe his cough as it is waking him up at night. Thanks in advance.

Chocolate can help apparently, it coats the throat so helps to soothe it a bit.

If it snot and mucus related you could elevate the head end of his mattress to stop it just trickling down the the back of his throat.

Otherwise - make sure it doesn't go on too long, someone else recently had a situ where her son had a cough for ages and it tooks the docs a silly amount of time to work out that he had a chest infection. Keep taking him back if you are worried, mothers instincts tend to be right.

Another genuine thing that can help little ones shift the mucus is to humidify the room- either a bowl of hot water put in their room as they sleep, or if there isn't anywhere safe to do that, a wet towel put on the radiator in their room, and drip either with Olbas Oil. Runny mucus is much easier to cough up and then get to sleep around.