Childhood illnesses, jabs and operations

Her diet is excellent, we make sure she doesnt get to scoff sweets or sugary things, and she gets lots of good nutrition, the only thing she really doesnt get is red meat, but instead of that she gets lots of fish and chicken which I recently learned is also pretty high in iron.

In spite of her low sugar diet she does seem to have problems with her teeth, and the dentist insists we`re feeding her too many sweets, Im getting sick of trying to convince him that she doesnt even like sweet things. Im wondering now if the state of her teeth is also because of the iron problem.

They are looking deeper into her problems, she has an EEG planned for the new year because she goes into... vacant times, times where she just sort of switches off. This is something that I also do and have done since I was a kid and it drives my other half nuts when both my daughter and I fade away and stare at a wall for 30 seconds. Once I learn whats causing that in my daughter, Ill know what causes it in me.

Shes got a lot of checks to go through next year because she seems to have quite a few problems. All relatively minor, but they all build up. Im hoping the Iron is one cure to at least a couple of her problems.

My eldest had constant ear infections and a snotty nose between October and May every year until he had his grommets fitted when he was 6. They stayed in for a year, but he hasn't had an ear infection or the constantly runny nose he had since the day they were inserted.

Similarly both of my twin stepchildren were born with cleft palates, and suffered very badly with catarrh and glue ear very badly when they were little (as apparently most children with cleft palates do- it's to do with the shape of the Eustachian tubes ).

As a result, my son was officially suffering 85% hearing loss, until they both had grommets fitted when they were 3 and a half. My son went from single words and even those pretty rare, to full sentences within a matter of weeks, and neither of them suffered with catarrh to the same extent afterwards.

girl i work with was notified of the consent before her son went for his jabs, she has to gove written confirmation signed and sealed with a contact number and she had to take this in personally before the jab! i can see why they are asking for this but i think the nurse may have breached rules by taking authority over the phone, but then she may never have dealt with this before and not know full procedures.

I have had all Mini savs vaccinations carried out as its better to be safe that sorry!

I took my little boy to the Stillpoint centre to see the cranial osteopath there. We were having a nightmare with him crying constantly until he was so exhausted that he would fall asleep for about an hour, and then it would all start again. He fed really well but it made no difference to his crying/sleeping problems. Our midwife suggested a cranial osteopath so we took him when he was about 6 weeks old. We noticed he was calmer straight away and after about 3 sessions he was much better. We took him back for a couple more sessions when he was about 4 months because he has some more sleeping problems and it seemed to help a bit. Sessions cost £40 at the time and lasted 40 minutes so it isn't cheap but if it works its worth it!!

My heart goes out to you. I can honestly say that I hated the first 6 weeks. It was so hard and I would never put myself through that again. I know loads of people will have said this but it really does get better!!!

I can personally endorse Lisa Halse- she's been my osteopath for the last 15 years, and during that time she's done lots of work with babies through the Children's Hospital, both cranial and spinal. It was more than likely her that you saw at the Stillpoint Practice BabyBoo.

She's no longer at Greenways BTW- she's opened her own practice in Walkley, at The Lodge House, Howard Road (phone 234 5459). She's still doing one day a week at the Stillpoint Practice (Thursdays), but the rest of the time will be in Walkley.

Hello,

My baby niece, 18 months, has come over with a blistered type rash on her back. She has already had chicken pox and she doesnt seem to be feeling unwell.

Whats up with her do you think?

OllieK

Could it be rubella? If she's been exposed then that's got to be a leading candidate.

I'm sorry to hear she's not well.

EDIT: to add a link

if she doesn't appear to be unwell, then it could simply be an allergic reaction to something that she's either eaten or that has come into contact with her skin... hope it gets better! :)

There is another childhood infectious disease called hand foot and mouth where you get blisters, but they are usually on hands feet and in the mouth!

Check it out with NHS direct or your doctor as there are lots of less well heard of childhood infectious diseases, as well as the possibility of an allergy or skin condition.

Ive been through the grommet thing with my daughter (now 20). She had her first lot fitted when she was quite small, and another lot fitted at about 5. She had hearing loss. This doesnt appear to be a problem with Freya, its just lots and lots of snot. It obviously runs (!) in the family!