Forced marriages in the news again

Mod Note

Keep it civil, this is the third such warning I've had to leave, don't count on there being any more warnings.

This is such a sad story, what an utter waste of a young life. I think the term honour killing needs to change, to reflect the disgust everyone must feel at such Murders.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/09/08/parents-charged-with-honour-killing-murder-of-daughter-115875-23404039/

it is rather pathetic...to allow your parents to arrange your marriage

Not so, old bean. What parent does not want any offspring's marriage to succeed?

Not so, old bean. What parent does not want any offspring's marriage to succeed?

I think Bassman has a default position that different = bad.

I know an English family (all born here) of Pakistani origin - I was quizzing the 24-yo son about his marriage intentions (just because I can) and he said, with a bit of a grin, that it's up to him who he marries. He chooses (his dad was out of the room at this point). He then went on to say that once the two young people have decided upon each other, they will introduce the parents to each other.

My questioning came to an end at this point as his dad came back and the conversation went on to other matters. However, the implication was that the 'intended' would have been agreeable to the other's parents.

We didn't have time to discuss what would happen if the loved one was not acceptable.

Comments from those who know more than I are welcomed!

Forced marriges =abuse of human rights. .. that's the united nations take on it anyway . And I agree

Forced marriges =abuse of human rights. .. that's the united nations take on it anyway . And I agree

I absolutely agree with you. What do you think about arranged marriages?

There's a difference??:hihi:

There are many different types of "arranged marriges " as you well know halibut in fact charles and diana was kind of arranged as the queen screened all.charles choices before allowing dating as it were. If your trying to provoke me into saying I don't agree with islamic arranged marriges it won't happen as 99% end happily so in theory it maybe a good idea as they are arranged by parents who after all usually.know best right. Forced and arranged are very different am I right in thinking even though arranged marriges your partner is chosen they still do have a choice?

Suprise suprise no halibut when there's no arguement to have.

I don't think he's hanging on your every word.

I find he tends not to engage if you say something sensible, he's like a counter-troll.