Forced marriages in the news again

According to the BBC news this mornng, fourteen local authorities are being directed by the govt. to investigate the numbers of teenage girls from ethnic minorities, dropping out from school and 'disappearing'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7288952.stm

MPs seem to suspect that Social Services are not properly investigating these disapperances and the numbers are considerably higher than are officially reported and investigated.

"However, the families involved often do it because they believe they are protecting the young person - preventing them being corrupted by Western values."

Begs the question of, - if western values are so distasteful - why live here in the first place ?

Our western values do not allow a young teenage girl to be snatched from her home and all that is familiar to her in order to be 'legally' raped by a man who is more than likely a complete stranger and often many years older than she is.

I do agree with you on the whole point of why live here if you don't appreciate our values.

However, before I get a head of steam and start mouthing off about how 'If you live here you should follow our rules', I know for sure that if I went to a country where forced marriage is the norm I wouldn't let my daughter (if I have one) be forced into a marriage.

I think it's part of their way of life, and by living in this country it gives the daughter a chance to appeal their fate by taking it up with the police.

It's something I'd put up with if they were first generation immigrants, because they will still be used to their way of life, but I think if you're second or third generation then you really should be looking at the values of the country in which you live. That's not to say first generation immigrants shouldn't, but I think it's more understandable if they dont.

No-one should be forced into marriage. (and There's a world of differnece between an "arranged" marriage and a "forced" marriage)

One of the things that makes me go "Hmmm :huh: ?" about this report, is that it simply says that the girls were "under 16", no further details, about "how" under sixteen they were... days? weeks? months? years? (not that it makes it any the less wrong.)

The girls should be allowed to have their childhood, and at least finish their education, befiore being "married off".

(And incidentally, in Islam, if a prospective bride or bridegroom is brought to the other party in the prospective wedding, and they are "found wanting" or "unsuitable" they have the right to veto, or reject them, and not be forced)

No-one should be forced into marriage. (and There's a world of differnece between an "arranged" marriage and a "forced" marriage)

One of the things that makes me go "Hmmm :huh: ?" about this report, is that it simply says that the girls were "under 16", no further details, about "how" under sixteen they were... days? weeks? months? years? (not that it makes it any the less wrong.)

Arranged marriages were common in our own culture not that long ago :)

In this scenario it seems to be the fate of girls as young as thirteen who will obviously then not be allowed to complete their education, however bright they are and whatever their prospects of going on to higher education. It's a little more than just stealing their childhood, - they're being consigned to marital slavery in their own culture rather than being allowed to aquire independence and perhaps adopt some of our culture.

I don't believe it's a specifically Muslim thing, - there seems plenty of evidence of Muslim women following a career in UK, - more a tribal tradition that the parents of these girls seem unable to escape from, even though they may themselves be second generation immigrants.

The girls should be allowed to have their childhood, and at least finish their education, befiore being "married off".

(And incidentally, in Islam, if a prospective bride or bridegroom is brought to the other party in the prospective wedding, and they are "found wanting" or "unsuitable" they have the right to veto, or reject them, and not be forced)

My bold

They might have the theoretical right to reject - but I doubt if it always happens in practice. I saw the news clip of the 13 year old girl who was taken from this country and made a forced marriage - she didn't seem to have been given the opportunity to reject her bridegroom.

I think it's more about cultural traditions than actual religion - and most cultures usually manage to finds bits of "their" religion to support whatever traditions they follow.

Personally, I don't much care how old the girls are - under 16, over 16, doesn't matter - what does matter is that they are being denied the right to a basic freedom, which everybody who lives in this country should have.

It would be more accurate if we said the problem was primarily in the Pakistani muslim community. This sort of thing died out within the Indian community a long time ago - perhaps a few isolated cases still exist - but essentially Pk muslim. The fact that many of these young women are from Bradford and Luton supports this.

I'm of Indian heritage and don't want this abominal practice to be connected with me.

It would be more accurate if we said the problem was primarily in the Pakistani muslim community. This sort of thing died out within the Indian community a long time ago - perhaps a few isolated cases still exist - but essentially Pk muslim. The fact that many of these young women are from Bradford and Luton supports this.

I'm of Indian heritage and don't want this abominal practice to be connected with me.

No- in india they just 'kill' the foetuses if its a girl. Guess it save the hassle of raising and marrying of the female eh?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/jul/24/india.randeepramesh

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/36000.php