Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

The Wheel at Mosborough, that's shut too!

Funny, seem to recall being in there last night watching the England-Croatia game :confused:

Good to hear Walkley Cottage being refurbished the other good new is rumour has it the Hadfield re-opens on the 18th September.

Last time I was in the Hadfield I had my wallet nicked! :rant:

And the numpty Landlord was no help! Crime doesn't happen in MY pub he says! It just had done mate, my ******* wallet! Containing 10 quid! :rant:

Last time my girlfriend went to the Hadfield she got flashed at by some dirty old perv. Not been since surprisingly.

Despite the credit crunch, pubs are still being refurbished and spruced up....the Fox and Duck in broomhill has benefited from a full interior redec after being shut for 4 days.....went in last night and it was much improved.....add to that the Summer refit of the Nottingham house which is very fresh, and complete interior refurb of The York coming very shortly

My wife and I enjoyed Wednesday afternoon in the Notty. It does feel nice and fresh and the gaffer's a top bloke too.

We actually went there from The Place whose menus now state that kids eat free (or something of that nature). I never knew kids were allowed on the premises. (We were without the children so appreciated the kid-free environment!)

I will pop my head into the F & D next time. Strangely, I was disappointed with their Magnet the last time I went in. Hope it was just the end of the barrel!

My wife and I enjoyed Wednesday afternoon in the Notty. It does feel nice and fresh and the gaffer's a top bloke too.

I will pop my head into the F & D next time. Strangely, I was disappointed with their Magnet the last time I went in. Hope it was just the end of the barrel!

The Fox had 2 quite superb real ales on I had last night which i have now forgotten the names of...due to several pints....and then just a few more......market research of course:hihi:

yes the Landlord of the Notty is a very decent chap...someone who really does care about the pub too....

Thirty-six pubs are closing every week. More than half the villages of England are now "dry" for the first time since the Norman Conquest and sales of beer in the pubs that are surviving are at the lowest level since the Great Depression. Last week Camra reported that it expected a "bloodbath" of pub closures following the traditionally busy Christmas period. It predicts 7,500 pubs to vanish by 2012.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/financialcrisis/3491216/One-in-eight-pubs-could-close-over-next-three-years-as-recession-bites.html

Getting off subject slightly, but where is the Haha bar in Sheffield. Got to pick the wife up from there on Thursday night?

A lot of local pubs have closed due to the influx of Ethnic minorities,who have saturated certain estates in Sheffield.

This is not a dig at them but,Muslims don't drink.

So a lot of mainly whites who lived on these estates move away thus bringing about the pub's demise.This is certainly evident in Cities such as Bradford and smaller Towns throughout all of Yorkshire.

A lot of local pubs have closed due to the influx of Ethnic minorities,who have saturated certain estates in Sheffield.

This is not a dig at them but,Muslims don't drink.

So a lot of mainly whites who lived on these estates move away thus bringing about the pub's demise.This is certainly evident in Cities such as Bradford and smaller Towns throughout all of Yorkshire.

I live in Lodge Moor and there aren't many ethnics up here, (certainly not compared to other suburbs of Sheffield).

Within a few miles witness this:

The Norfolk Arms at Rivelin. Closed down, in ruins and looking unlikely to reopen;

The King's Head at Crosspool. Closed down and demolished years ago;

The Bell Hagg. cf Norfolk Arms

Shiny Sheff. Recently re-opened but the signs are not promising;

The Bull's Head - up for lease;

The Plough - ditto.

Explain how the ethnic makeup of the region has lead to these instances. It's simpler than that: people aren't entering pubs anymore. Whether that be because of the price of a pint or the fact that they cannot smoke or maybe there are a hundred other things folk could be doing at home or elsewhere?

People have less disposable income; drinking at home is far cheaper (though IMO not that same as going out); there's multi-channel television, surround sound TV and DVD, computer games and the like. There are cinemas to go to, bowling alleys, restaurants and so on.

The pub is no longer the only place to go for a night out.

I'm 39 and I honestly believe that a generation beneath me simply chose not to follow my own and older generations into pubs. I love pubs, love going out and still get out as often as I can.

But there's no doubt about it: the pub as we know it - or knew it - is finished.

Getting off subject slightly, but where is the Haha bar in Sheffield. Got to pick the wife up from there on Thursday night?

Peace Gardens