Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

Whilst it may be common knowledge that the Marquis Of Granby on the Hathersage Road has been shamefully demolished (or at least the vast majority of it) I noted last Sunday afternoon that the Derwent Hotel in Bamford was also closed and by all accounts looking unlikely to re-open.

The Derwent's being refurbished, due to re-open in september.

Has the Norfolk Arms at Ringinglow closed?

I think they're struggling. I know a fortune was spent on the place and from what I've heard parts of the improvements are incomplete (ie, they ran out of money).

It could be a matter of time. That'll be top and bottom Norfolk Arms closed then.

All speculation I hasten to add.

• 1 month later...

Don't look like they are struggling to me. Went up there for a great bar meal a few weeks ago on Saturday night and the place was packed and from what we ate I can see why. We have been back with our parents for Sunday lunch, it was packed again and we had to wait 30 mins for a table. Food was great and was a proper hotel dining room experience, tablecloths, nice cutlery and professional service, worth the wait. Waiteress was chatty and told us they are virtually fully booked for Christmas Day & New Years Eve and over 20 weddings booked for 2009. Don't think they are going to struggle !

They used to say 'If it aint broke don't fix it', the traditional English pub has been lost because of changes that weren't required. The smoking ban came into being when the trade was already on it's knees, I fear that the condition is terminal.

Quite interestingly, the chairman of the Licenced Victuallers was speaking about the plight of the pub trade recently and blamed 'The National Minimum Wage'. It's a bit rich if pubs can only trade profitably by paying slave labour wages.

Pubs used to be family run businesses with all hands to the pumps as and when required. They used to be interesting places, that like the local Church were the hub of the community, pub trips, football and cricket teams, darts and snooker tournaments, dominoes, cards, etc;etc. They are now boring, expensive and dour, just like a lot of the folk who run them. :confused:

I know the Rose House on South Road has a new couple ready to take over. The Springvale on Commonside was totally out of all three hand pulled ales last week but they had some Ruddles on last night and some temporary bar staff in. The place was dead but it should get the student trade back soon. Ive not seen the Hadfield open for a few weeks now and tonight I’ve heard all sorts of rumours about the Walkley Cottage, the Royal Hotel and the Bath Hotel. I’m hoping they are nothing more than rumours.

Further afield, the boozer that usually serves us breakfast up in Holmfirth on the Phil and Friends bike ride was boarded up yesterday (think it’s called the Victoria)