Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

I read in the Enterprise brochure they want £25k to go into the Old Harrow at Gleadless, which incidentally is boarded up with lovely flowers growing out of the guttering, broken windows etc. The sign outside describes it as an 'Exciting Opportunity' for the right person. I think not, only if going bust excites you?

I read in the Enterprise brochure they want £25k to go into the Old Harrow at Gleadless, which incidentally is boarded up with lovely flowers growing out of the guttering, broken windows etc. The sign outside describes it as an 'Exciting Opportunity' for the right person. I think not, only if going bust excites you?

I take it they didn't miss the opportunity to advertise the lovely flowers (surely, you mean weeds?) growing out of the guttering as a 'Stunning Beer Garden, suitable for families and al fresco dining'?

The old bed dumped in the car park and net curtains blowing in the wind out of the broken windows gives the game away! Who in their right mind is going to take places like this on? £25k ingoing and then probably £800 pw rent! Its the big combines like Mitchell and Butlers Ember Inns, Two For One, Sizzling Steak houses, Wetherspoons, Greenall Whitley, Greene King etc that are responsible for all this. They have the vast buying power and the ability to buy 'near sell by stock' they are able to sell beer at vastly discounted prices the small businessman can't even buy from Enterprise at those prices! They are what the supermarkets are to the local grocers. Big combines who have no regard for anyone!

I take it they didn't miss the opportunity to advertise the lovely flowers (surely, you mean weeds?) growing out of the guttering as a 'Stunning Beer Garden, suitable for families and al fresco dining'?

or perhaps

"ideal for the first time Publican, a truly delightful premises situated in this highly sought after district, and a real once in a lifetime golden opportunity. With tremendous trading potential and the unrivalled opportunity to introduce a quality food offer, this Sheffield historic site is a firm favourite with locals (read woodworm, rats, and assorted vermin). The successful applicant will need to have flair and ambition and vision (to see past the derelict rat hole), and be a hands-on operator who can achieve the growth in trade this site deserves. Enterprise will consider any applicant who is suitable (read who is a complete mug but has 40K in the bank), but please do not call at the Pub to discuss this opportunity with the current tenants or customers (as they are just rats and woodworm at the present time)

I'd rather see the big chains taking on and revamping the derelict pubs than see them standing there for years on end. Look at the Five Arches, totally boarded up and has been standing empty for near on two years. Nobody seems to want it. I'd happily welcome a Two for one pub chain to take it on. The small one man bands have had the opportunity to try to make pubs like this work, if they can't or don't want to or recognise it's not an affordable option, then let the larger chains run them. I'd rather see these buildings occupied than left to rot, bringing down the tone of the area and reducing property prices.

We have a local pub near us which must have had at least 6 landlords in 12 months. They all seem to make the same mistake; for a small village they want to turn the pub into a city pub. There are new housing estates being built all around the local area with families moving in.

By attempting to attract a young clientèle, which in reality do not exist, they alienate potentially 100 of punters, families, who want a drink without the drunks, fighting and very loud music.

At the weekends there are a handful of youngster who have 1 or 2 drinks and then go into Sheffield for the rest of the evening leaving the place completely empty. The landlords/tenants need to attract the people who would go there normally but because of the drunken idiots they seem to welcome no one goes there.:loopy:

Its easy to slate the Wetherspoons of this world but they started off small. They invest / risk a massive amount of money in each pub they open.

Then you get the everyday inexperienced 'business person' that thinks they can make their fortune by investing 25/50k (a pittance these days) in a lease of a pub, sit on their ass by the bar chatting to their mates all day then moan when they realise it's not that easy to make money.

Money can still be made in the pub business, you just have to be prepared to invest / risk a lot by buying a freehold or an un-tied / long lease and working hard.

How can the small businessman compete with pubs like Ember Inns selling cask Tetley's at £1.89 a pint, it has to be near sell by date? The guy and his wife running your local pub can't buy it for that from Enterprise? Ripsaw, you're not looking to the future, once the big boys have got rid of all the small guys, the price will go up once they command the market. Local pubs are closing down countrywide because of this. As for Wetherspoons ... If I had to drink to price I reckon I'd pack it in altogether. That's why those places are full of low lifes!

I have here before my eyes Enterprise Inns own brochure, looking something like a Good Pub Guide, crammed with pubs presently awaiting misty eyed tenants and other fools. I quote directly from the brochure:

"Enterprise Inns is one of the largest pub businesses in the UK with over 7,500 pubs ranging from small community locals, to pubs with high quality restaurants and boutique hotels.

"We work with talented and dedicated pub retailers supporting and advising them every step of the way with our award-winning training, marketing support and highly experienced Regional Managers.

"If you are considering starting your own business, or buying a franchise, why not take a look at Enterprise Inns.......

".....Flexible deals are available on selected sites for the right retailers and we also work closely with our multiple operators so even if you don't have high levels of capital available to invest we would still be happy to talk to you....

"....If you love pubs, spend some time perusing our brochure - you might just find your dream pub business opportunity."

Anyone believing this crap would seriously need their head looking at.

Referring to sierraman's post, the Old Harrow is described as follows (upon which there's a smashing photograph of the pub all lit up at night, bedecked in fairy lights - looking somewhat like an illuminated Blackpool tram!):

"Superbly located pub business with great potential.

* Located on a prominent position on a T-junction on the very busy B6388 from Mosborough to Gleadless, ideally suited for local businesses, local residential area and passing trade.

* External refurbishment planned with potential for further investment.

* 2 trading rooms plus trade kitchen which provides a great opportunity for introducing food.

* Excellent potential for external trading and 3 double bedroomed private accommodation.

Estimated ingoings £25,000"

Any takers?:loopy: