The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

I have recently read Omens by Kelley Armstrong and would thoroughly recommend this, I also have The Book Thief and A Quiet Belief in Angels lined up to read which I am looking forward to.

The book thief is excellent.

I've started Tooth and Nail, a Rebus story from Ian Rankin. OK so far.

I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm reading A Night on the Moor and other stories of dread, by R Murray Gilchrist.

Gilchrist was a local author who was born in Sheffield and lived in the Peak District for most of his life, notably at Cartledge Hall near Holmesfield with his mother, and wrote several books about the area. As a short story writer he had an adjective-laden prose style of a Gothic nature (not quite as much as M P Shiel but in that direction); all of his books of stories have been out of print for ages but Wordsworth published this selection a few years ago. Well worth a look if you're into that sort of thing.

Just this second finished The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M Banks. An enjoyable end to the Culture.

RIP Iain.

I finished Dead Air by Mr Banks last night. He truly was one of the most engaging authors of our time but unfortunately I've only really become familiar with his work since he died. His books should be mandatory reading for everyone.

Just started A Rage in Harlem by Chester Himes.

Read:

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

A Game of Thrones - George RR Martin

No god but God by Reza Aslan

An history and analysis of Islam. Clever work if anyone is interested.

Started:

Ulysses by James Joyce

Tip-toeing through the introduction to work out if I'm in the mood to tackle it.

Edited by Chris_Sleeps

Just started last night reading Asylum, 8 book series by Amy Cross looking pretty good up to now. I have just finished Jack the Ripper, The Simple Truth by Bruce Paley, good book and comes up with a very plausible suspect; on saying that most of the ones I've read do that but it is very convincing.

Recently started Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Only a few chapters in so not really got into it but I'm enjoying the style of writing.

Not read this one, but recently read a few Charles Dickens novels & the style used back in those days is way, way different to now.:)