The "I am currently reading" thread

I've got a full list of Franz Kafka and Murakami on my list. Should be fun.

If your time on this planet is of value to you, then I'd seriously think of giving Murakami a miss. I reported on here some time ago that I was reading 1Q84, and, it seemed okay. However, it's not. It starts off well, then rapidly becomes boring. After about page 200, you start scratching your head and start to wonder when something'll happen … by around 600, you're beginning to feel cheated , but by this time you have to read the other several hundred pages, otherwise you'll have wasted your time.

The end doesn't happen … I even went on to read book three (2Q84) in the vain hope that something (anything) would happen, enabling some kind of closure maybe. After about fifteen hundred pages (the last page) it does … after hardly anything happens, Tengo and Aomame live hap … I can't tell you, it'd spoil the plot.

More like you'd need an IQ of 84 to enjoy it. Shan't be reading any more of his guff (think poor quality JK Rowling).

I'd stick to Kafka if I were you.

Tom Jones - his autobiography. He had TB for 2 years from 12-14 but recovered well. An interesting life story so far and I'm only on page 50.

Rant-Charlie Crow.

A comedy thriller,absolutely hilarious.

Me too, just read," Blott on the Landscape,""the Throwback," now on to "Porterhouse Blue." Then I reckon I'll read "Wilt" again, first time since it came out.

Porterhouse Blue is nowhere as good as the first two, there's no character to empathise with and nowhere near as funny. I reckon I'll leave Wilt a bit.

Also just read James Corden's autobiography, a good job somebody gave it me, he nearly disappears up his own backside, I ran out of counting how many times he mentions Gavin & bloody Stacey.

At the moment I'm having a read at the Main Chance by Colin Forbes, strangely old fashioned dialogue for a book released in 2005 and supposed to be contemporary. Another thing I find odd about his books is the excessive use of the word 'perched,' no one sits down, they perch, buildings are perched at the top of a hill etc, very odd! Still, the story seems a good one.

After that I think I'll re- read the Flashman books by George Macdonald Fraser, I've got the full set and haven't read them for years. Not very PC but good old fashioned boys own stories coupled with real life events and figures from history.

Been plowing through anything and everything by Ken Follett.

Great author, Onto Jo Nesbos' Harry hill series now.

The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood. A blackly comic romp in a dystopian near future. Not one of Atwood's best but very readable.

Just getting to the end of Cormac McCarthy's post-apocalyptic fable The Road. If you're looking for a book that's going to cheer you up, don't pick this one! But at the same time I thought it's rather good.

The Partisan's Daughter by Louis de Bernieres.

A bittersweet romance.

'Balls of Fire'. Fred Trueman's autobiography written in 1976. Very good. It explains why he should have got around 450 test wickets rather than 307.