The "I am currently reading" thread

House of Holes by Nicholson Baker. In chapter 1, a woman finds a friendly severed arm in a quarry. It turns out to belong to a man called Dave, who gave it up in exchange for a larger different body part. The arm then transports her to the erotic resort of the title. If you've read Baker's The Fermata, you'll have a pretty good idea what happens next.

The Kremlin Device....Chris Ryan.

3/10

Up next is Zoo by James Patterson, (unless someone on here say's don't bother).

A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie by Kathryn Harkup, and Two for Sorrow by Nicola Upson, the third in her Josephine Tey series.

Hard Frost by R.D. Wingfield. I never watched the Touch of Frost series so didn't really know what to expect. The usual police station intrigues...maverick cop, stickler boss, new woman on the team, resentful colleagues etc.....It all gets a bit hackneyed and cliched after a while.

Odd bits of humour do rescue it though.

Working my way through the Clive Cussler itinerary and I'm currently reading Flood Tide.

Cheer Up Love: Adventures in Depression with the Crab of Hate, by Susan Calman.

Just about to start on the latest Patricia Cornwell book, hoping its as good as the others!

Same here - its a good read!

Another Day by David Leviathan. Recommended!!

Dancers Lament - Ian Cameron Esslemont

It's a continuation of the world created by Steven Erikson, The Malazan book of the Dead. Although it's a prequel exploring the back story of one of the characters. Excellent so far.

Genre is fantasy, pretty dark and gritty epic fantasy.

Catching up on my Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin Anderson, with The Dark Between the Stars (2014) currently, to be followed by Blood of the Cosmos (2015), ready for Eternity's Mind when it comes out later this year.

Genre is Space Opera...and Star Wars can just grab its coat and go.

Still working my way through the Andrew Miller back catalogue. Having read 'Pure' and 'Ingenious Pain', both beautifully written, I'm on with 'Oxygen' now, which is a lot more contemporary than the previous two.

From what I can gather, it's about the comparisons of a play by a Hungarian emigre about miners trapped underground (and running out of air) in a mining disaster, and the real life drama unfolding around its translator from Hungarian to English. Intriguing.

At the same time, just started 'I was Dora Suarez' by Derek Raymond. Not far into it but there's already been two slayings by an axe wielding psychopath (seeing them from his perspective) leaving little to the imagination … certainly too graphic to relate in an organ such as this. Interesting.

At the same time, just started 'I was Dora Suarez' by Derek Raymond. Not far into it but there's already been two slayings by an axe wielding psychopath (seeing them from his perspective) leaving little to the imagination … certainly too graphic to relate in an organ such as this. Interesting.

Read this years ago and it's definitely a book where you feel like washing your hands every time you put it down.