Platonic relationships - can they be sustained?

It's better than being put into the 'bit on the side' category though. I'd rather be a mate anyday, than a bit of fluff!

If we weren't so mean, we'd have given Christian Carter his $30 and by now we'd have known all the secrets of the universe and been femmes fatale!

ROFLAO! I came back to post that we ought to consult the mighty Christian Carter on the issue, you beat me to it. :hihi:

ROFLAO! I came back to post that we ought to consult the mighty Christian Carter on the issue, you beat me to it. :hihi:

I knew that if anyone would get the joke, it'd be you ... :hihi:

No, not for me. All my close friends are all female, as I do not like 'platonic' frienships with men. If I like a man, I want him all to myself, or not at all. I find that male friendships lead nowhere, and only cause friction or intrude in relationships, or I suspect that they habour feelings for me, and I am uncomfortable with that. I may be wrong, but this is how I feel, that male friends are of no importance to me, and never have been. If I am a platonic friend to any man, it's fair-weather, and of lesser importance to other things.

That's really sad. :( I have a couple of very close male friends, but far more female friends. You must be missing out. Not everyone is trying to get your knickers off. (or vice versa)

:hihi::)

EDIT: if you are a male poster. replace 'knickers' with 'pants':hihi: and discard this post :P

That's really sad. :( I have a couple of very close male friends, but far more female friends. You must be missing out. Not everyone is trying to get your knickers off. (or vice versa)

I didn't say they were. What I'm saying is, a third-pard party may not like it so much, and their opinion may matter more.

I didn't say they were. What I'm saying is, a third-pard party may not like it so much, and their opinion may matter more.

I don't understand, sorry, I'm a bit slow at this time of night...

You mean your BF doesn't like you having male friends? , or you don't like your BF having female friends? (metaphorically speaking I mean:hihi:)

I don't understand, sorry, I'm a bit slow at this time of night...

You mean your BF doesn't like you having male friends? , or you don't like your BF having female friends? (metaphorically speaking I mean:hihi:)

Not close friends no-so both, if I'm honest. I would have felt a little jealous, and wouldn't have liked him to feel jealous in this situation. And so, I am talking whilst thinking about my ex, so perhaps I didn't get everything right. However, I'd probably feel the same in a future situation also, and if what I think and feel makes me sad in your opinion-so be it.

And you're right, it is late. I'm not going to lose any sleep.

Not close friends no-so both, if I'm honest. I would have felt a little jealous, and wouldn't have liked him to feel jealous in this situation. And so, I am talking whilst thinking about my ex, so perhaps I didn't get everything right. However, I'd probably feel the same in a future situation also, and if what I think and feel makes me sad in your opinion-so be it.

And you're right, it is late. I'm not going to lose any sleep.

No no no, Either I mistyped or you misread. I didn't say you were sad. I said [meant] it was a sad situation if you don't feel comfortable having male friends.

Maybe I should shut up, I seem to be getting into a habit of misleading/annoying lately:hihi: :(

No no no, Either I mistyped or you misread. I didn't say you were sad. I said [meant] it was a sad situation if you don't feel comfortable having male friends.

Maybe I should shut up, I seem to be getting into a habit of misleading/annoying lately:hihi: :(

It's OK, I'm probably wrong in my way of thinking anyway :)

I think that platonic friendships can be maintained if that is all that they ever were quite easily.

But I am much more doubtful of it working where there was ever a physical relationship... although saying that I have managed to do just that myself, but it does make it much more difficult.

I think friendships with either sex are a whole lot easier to maintain than 'romantic' relationships. Things that would annoy me in a partner, don't bother me in a friend. I expect less from them and my friends don't get annoyed when I want to do things with other friends. They don't ask me where I'm going or what I'm doing when I'm not with them.

They do fall by the wayside a fair bit, generally when people get partners and get wrapped up in them. I try not to lose my friends through my relationships, though I've lost a lot of guy friends through their relationships. C'est la vie.

Wasn't there a thread about whether men and women (or men and men/women and women for that matter!)can be friends not long ago?

No, not for me. All my close friends are all female, as I do not like 'platonic' frienships with men. If I like a man, I want him all to myself, or not at all. I find that male friendships lead nowhere, and only cause friction or intrude in relationships, or I suspect that they habour feelings for me, and I am uncomfortable with that. I may be wrong, but this is how I feel, that male friends are of no importance to me, and never have been. If I am a platonic friend to any man, it's fair-weather, and of lesser importance to other things.

I agree with you.