Platonic relationships - can they be sustained?

I've maintained a few - One whom I keep in contact with sporadically, one whom I see quite often and another whom I still see and speak to regularly. I've had a few fall by the wayside along the years but can say that of male friends also so I'm chalking that up to moving on as time goes by.

Some there was always the unspoken frisson of unexplored liaisons but with most they're just my mates ...... Granted they have boobies, but they're bloody good mates :)

My best mate is a woman. That isn't to say that I don't fancy the pants off her and haven't spent nights alone in bed "thinking" about her. But I also love and respect her. I also love and respect her boyfriend...who is a thoroughly marvelous human being. I am happy that they are together and in love. My base and perverted lusts pale into insignificance compared to their ongoing happiness.

It used to pee me off big time that female friends always preferred to have sex with other men and see me as a mate to gripe/cry/whinge to. But I'm happy now.

My best mate is a woman. That isn't to say that I don't fancy the pants off her and haven't spent nights alone in bed "thinking" about her. But I also love and respect her. I also love and respect her boyfriend...who is a thoroughly marvelous human being. I am happy that they are together and in love. My base and perverted lusts pale into insignificance compared to their ongoing happiness.

It used to pee me off big time that female friends always preferred to have sex with other men and see me as a mate to gripe/cry/whinge to. But I'm happy now.

yup, been that guy, its comforting to know you can be relied upon, that you're someone's rock, not quite as easy when there isnt a rock for you.