Poll: Would you like to see Velocity Tower grow taller?

Which do you prefer?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• 36 Storeys - Bigger is better!
    • 22 Storeys - Tall enough already
    • Can't decide

you are supposed to feel small going into the town hall, it was built to do that.

Doesn't seem to have that effect on some of our councillors and it even cramps the style of our chief executive ;)

Where is this Velocity tower.Is it the green one at the uni. tram stop?

Where is this Velocity tower.Is it the green one at the uni. tram stop?

No its at the Waitrose roundabout

As much as I love Sheffield as one of the greenest cities in the country, I do feel we're being slightly left behind by some our local "rivals".

Not sure that apeing Leeds and Manchester is what a lot of people want though. Trailing a little behind these two 'rivals' gave Sheffield planners the chance to try something a little different but they seem to have succumbed to the 'high-rise is good' mantra.

The broadsheet business pages are all predicting the buy/build to let market will come unstuck next year, and is already suffering a serious slow-down, so the regeneration schemes still in the planning stage could well run out of steam before they're even started.

Getting left behind (I'm still not exactly sure what's meant by this) is the best thing I can imagine for this city. It enables us to veer off, take another route and become a truly unique place to live, rather than wearing away the same scoured, dirty regeneration path that every other city is taking.

Yep, lets all go back to steel manufacturing, and digging in the mines!

People change and Places change, move with the times. Let the past go.......

Not sure that apeing Leeds and Manchester is what a lot of people want though. Trailing a little behind these two 'rivals' gave Sheffield planners the chance to try something a little different but they seem to have succumbed to the 'high-rise is good' mantra.

So whats your alternative then! Hight rise city sky lines look fantasic, simple as!

The broadsheet business pages are all predicting the buy/build to let market will come unstuck next year, and is already suffering a serious slow-down, so the regeneration schemes still in the planning stage could well run out of steam before they're even started.

I bet you are willing that on to happen aren't you?

Trailing a little behind these two 'rivals' gave Sheffield planners the chance to try something a little different

But they daren't.

Can you imagine what Sheffield people would say if they built something like the Guggenheim in Bilbao in Sheffield, people would be horrified, it would be the end of the world. We're just not ready for anything different, so we get the inoffensive rubbish we have.

(The Guggenheim - not for those of a nervous disposition - http://www.dac.dk/db/filarkiv/7728/guggenheim_bilbao_1.jpg )

There's something seriously wrong with the perspective on the second render. Why does it appear to get wider at the top when the normal rules of perspective would make it look smaller?

Also why do the renders make it look silver, when it's being fitted with 90's cliche green glass?

There seems to be two different designs coming out for the 36 story version, here is the other one, which i think looks better and doesn't get wider at the top!!this is from the velocity website!!

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd49/maddmaxx500/1071TheCrazySagaOfSheffieldsVelocit.jpg

There seems to be two different designs coming out for the 36 story version, here is the other one, which i think looks better and doesn't get wider at the top!!this is from the velocity website!!

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd49/maddmaxx500/1071TheCrazySagaOfSheffieldsVelocit.jpg

Thought I'd seen that one! Looks much better and would make it look even taller!

Most of the great buildings of the world are not on a "human scale", thats what makes them impressive. How exciting would the pyramids be if they were 40ft tall, or the Eiffel Tower if it stopped at the first viewing deck, or the Empire State building was 10 floors high ?

Even the Town Hall was built to be big and impressive, the Victorians didn't think about blending-in with the existing surroundings, their buildings dominate the area and grab your attention, you are supposed to feel small going into the town hall, it was built to do that.

If you had actually spent time reading my other posts on this thread then you will have read that two of my favourite skyscrapers are the Empire State building and the Eiffel Tower. Very impressive because of their location and the fact that they are pretty much unique designs. I would hope you're not suggesting that Velocity Tower is architecturally in the same league as those buildings.:gag: If so you might have to be sectioned.:(

As for the Town Hall and other public buildings (you seem to assume I have some kind of affinity with Victorian buildings), like the City Hall and both of the cathedrals, the clue is in the word public. These buildings are impressive (but still on a human scale that blend in well with other surrounding buildings because they are built with similar materials and architectural features) simply because they are public buildings and are built for a purpose which is usually to accommodate large numbers of people.

I certainly don't feel small when I go into the Town Hall but I am very impressed by the craftsmanship and architectural detailing of both the inside and outside of the building. Maybe you need :help: with your confidence nick2.:)

Yep, lets all go back to steel manufacturing, and digging in the mines!

People change and Places change, move with the times. Let the past go.......

So that's the limit of your imagination is it? Steel works/coal mining or high rise concrete and glass monstrosities? What a wonderful choice. Try using your imagination for there's a whole lot more out there to choose from. For example what about a slightly scaled down version of this to replace the Tinsley Towers?

http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence/5192/tokyo2.html

Now that's a stunningly beautiful building (in the right location)!