Poll: Would you like to see Velocity Tower grow taller?

Which do you prefer?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• 36 Storeys - Bigger is better!
    • 22 Storeys - Tall enough already
    • Can't decide

So whats your alternative then! Hight rise city sky lines look fantasic, simple as!

I bet you are willing that on to happen aren't you?

Sheffield already has a skyline and a fairly unique one for a city at that. IT'S HILLS! There is no man made structure that can compare with that so let's not spoil it.

All man made skylines look the same with just the odd unique building allowing you to distinguish......say, Vancouver from Toronto from Pennsylvania from Honolulu from Los Angeles from Melbourne from Dallas from Shanghai from New York etc. Gets boring after a while doesn't it. A bit like looking at unnamed photographs of these places and trying to guess exactly which 'anywheresvill' it is your looking at!

If so you might have to be sectioned.:(

Maybe you need :help: with your confidence nick2.:)

You could have just replied and put your views across without bitching.

Sheffield already has a skyline and a fairly unique one for a city at that. IT'S HILLS! There is no man made structure that can compare with that so let's not spoil it.

All man made skylines look the same with just the odd unique building allowing you to distinguish......say, Vancouver from Toronto from Pennsylvania from Honolulu from Los Angeles from Melbourne from Dallas from Shanghai from New York etc. Gets boring after a while doesn't it. A bit like looking at unnamed photographs of these places and trying to guess exactly which 'anywheresvill' it is your looking at!

Ive spent quite alot of time in Vancouver and eventhough it has an absolutely stunning skyline with the Habour Centre etc, Vancouver is known for its mountains that surround the city, and having the biggest city park in North America. Personally i think it makes the monuntains stand out more when in the back drop of these buildings. One main feature to the city is that is known as the city where you can be downtown amoungst the high-rise buildings and within 20minutes in the comfort of the rocky mountains.

Sound anywhere familiar?

Sheffield is also known as a city (hopefully with high rise in the futrue) but yet you are only 20 minutes from the peak dristrict, this is what attracts people to move to places, they have the best of both worlds. Hence my Application to move over there currently going through.

Any one who knows LA, will know that the downtown area is mostly financial, and tourists aren't really attacted there. theres area's like hollywood, the beaches and Disneyland for that. And the down town for a city that size is very small, maybe 40 high-rise there.

A classic example of hills and mountains in a city is Hong Kong, They have some of the tallest most stunning buildings in the world. But what is there number one attraction?

The Peak...... Placed on top of one of the mountains on Hong Kong Island over looking the city, now do you think people would go there just to see 6 or 7 story buildings? Of course not.

Im not saying that Sheffield will ever be like any of those cities in comparison to buildings and tourist attractions, but the View from Norfork Park is great, in my personal view i think it will look beautiful with the addition of high rise buildings.

Watch Full Monty and theres a 10 second clip that over looks the city, it looks dull boring and i think the tallest building you can see is that pyramid building, that was 10 years ago. Take a look at it now, and its starting to look exciting, vibrant and somewhere that will attract people to come and visit.

Gets boring after a while doesn't it. A bit like looking at unnamed photographs of these places and trying to guess exactly which 'anywheresvill' it is your looking at!

Not really, And no, i myself and i bet the majority of people can tell the difference between city skylines. But i bet they would probably find it hard identifying individual hills.

The hills won't go away. There an addition to this city and will stand out more once the city takes shape.

Good luck to velocity i hope they get the go ahead. I do prefer thier design on their website.

Now come on "rugs" and "sixxsix" shoot me down! :hihi:

You could have just replied and put your views across without bitching.

The comments you highlighted were meant to be taken in a lighthearted way.

Ive spent quite alot of time in Vancouver and eventhough it has an absolutely stunning skyline with the Habour Centre etc, Vancouver is known for its mountains that surround the city, and having the biggest city park in North America. Personally i think it makes the monuntains stand out more when in the back drop of these buildings. One main feature to the city is that is known as the city where you can be downtown amoungst the high-rise buildings and within 20minutes in the comfort of the rocky mountains.

Sound anywhere familiar?

Sheffield is also known as a city (hopefully with high rise in the futrue) but yet you are only 20 minutes from the peak dristrict, this is what attracts people to move to places, they have the best of both worlds. Hence my Application to move over there currently going through.

Any one who knows LA, will know that the downtown area is mostly financial, and tourists aren't really attacted there. theres area's like hollywood, the beaches and Disneyland for that. And the down town for a city that size is very small, maybe 40 high-rise there.

A classic example of hills and mountains in a city is Hong Kong, They have some of the tallest most stunning buildings in the world. But what is there number one attraction?

The Peak...... Placed on top of one of the mountains on Hong Kong Island over looking the city, now do you think people would go there just to see 6 or 7 story buildings? Of course not.

Im not saying that Sheffield will ever be like any of those cities in comparison to buildings and tourist attractions, but the View from Norfork Park is great, in my personal view i think it will look beautiful with the addition of high rise buildings.

Watch Full Monty and theres a 10 second clip that over looks the city, it looks dull boring and i think the tallest building you can see is that pyramid building, that was 10 years ago. Take a look at it now, and its starting to look exciting, vibrant and somewhere that will attract people to come and visit.

Not really, And no, i myself and i bet the majority of people can tell the difference between city skylines. But i bet they would probably find it hard identifying individual hills.

The hills won't go away. There an addition to this city and will stand out more once the city takes shape.

Good luck to velocity i hope they get the go ahead. I do prefer thier design on their website.

Now come on "rugs" and "sixxsix" shoot me down! :hihi:

Shooting you down will be extremely easy if you keep getting your facts wrong!

1/ Stanley Park is the third largest park in North America but the largest park in Canada.

2/ The main high rise centre of Vancouver is built on a very flat flood plain and is a long way from the true Canadian wilderness and mountainous regions. It's the low rise urban sprawl of this very large city that's encroached into this wilderness.

Sheffield is totally different. It is actually built on the hillsides which leaves very few locations suitable for high rise buildings. Maybe you'd like to tell me how many high rise buildings in Vancouver are built 500ft above sea level?

3/ Hong Kong is certainly a break from the norm due, historically, to it's isolated position between communist China and the sea. Hence nowhere to build other than upwards in this very hilly region.

The result? A very dense, humid polluted environment that's probably OK to visit but definately a nightmare to live.

4/ The Full Monty was filmed specifically to make the city look down at heel (which a large part does because of the low rise monstrosities as well as the high rise monstrosities like the Hallamshire Hospital and Arts Tower that look like they've just landed from outer space) to fit the storyline of unemployed maual workers with no future.

5/ If you think tourists come to a city to to see the latest skyscraper then I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land. What skyscrapers do is provide the density of jobs and housing in a relatively small area that allow certain facilities, such as shops, to be provided that, in itself, might attract tourists.

6/ The simple result of these large, high density cities is high levels of crime, pollution and social deprivation.

5/ If you think tourists come to a city to to see the latest skyscraper then I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

That is exactly what I said to the queue of people waiting to go to the top of the CN tower.

Shooting you down will be extremely easy if you keep getting your facts wrong!

1/ Stanley Park is the third largest park in North America but the largest park in Canada.

I am sorry, i have done my research.

i could only go on what i was told by a sight seeing tour while i was over there.

2/ The main high rise centre of Vancouver is built on a very flat flood plain and is a long way from the true Canadian wilderness and mountainous regions. It's the low rise urban sprawl of this very large city that's encroached into this wilderness.

Wrong.... Vancouver is at SEA LEVEL because it is next to the sea, it is not until you get to Surry that the river developes which is more than 10miles out of the downtown area. I have caught the bus from downtown, and been ski-ing on the top of Grouse Mountain within 30mins many times before.

45mins drive North of the City you will be in Squarmish, which is well into Rocky area, where you can clearly see the salmon jumping up river.

3/ Hong Kong is certainly a break from the norm due, historically, to it's isolated position between communist China and the sea. Hence nowhere to build other than upwards in this very hilly region.

The result? A very dense, humid polluted environment that's probably OK to visit but definately a nightmare to live.

Maybe for you, ive been there twice and due to work out there at some point. And I'm sure the other 10's of thousands of Ex pats would disagree. Again a 10 Minute bus ride and you will be on the sunny beach of Repluse Bay. Away from the city. Again i know this cos i have done it.

4/ The Full Monty was filmed specifically to make the city look down at heel (which a large part does because of the low rise monstrosities as well as the high rise monstrosities like the Hallamshire Hospital and Arts Tower that look like they've just landed from outer space) to fit the storyline of unemployed maual workers with no future.

That was sheffield back then, If it wasn't then sheffield council wouldn't have given it the go ahead.

Look how far we've come since then.

5/ If you think tourists come to a city to to see the latest skyscraper then I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land. What skyscrapers do is provide the density of jobs and housing in a relatively small area that allow certain facilities, such as shops, to be provided that, in itself, might attract tourists.

So yes, they do attract tourists!

Regular buliding that can't contain these things won't attract tourists.

Look at the ques for the Empire state, Rockefeller building, CN Tower. Royal Bank of China. People travel the world to see them. I have

6/ The simple result of these large, high density cities is high levels of crime, pollution and social deprivation.

Still don't agree with you on that, ive spent time all over the planet, in some of the biggest cities in the world. there is only one city that made me unsafe, and that was Bangkok. The rest were so safe becuase of these bulidings, there were secruity guard all over the place, increased CCTV. So i don't know how you came up with that.

And remember we are on about city centre buliding, not suburb high rise bulidings.

Which ever city you go to including Sheffield, there will be (there's no point arguing about it, becuase the world is getting biggger all the time) high rise bulidings will be in a centralised area and the beauty's can always be found within a short distance around it.

So just let it happen.

Would you rather we keep to low level bulidings and build into the peak district etc?

If you think tourists come to a city to to see the latest skyscraper then I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

Over here in Cloud Cuckoo Land, also known as Manchester, we have loads of tourists who come and marvel at Beetham Tower, the way it stands proud above the city and is visible for miles like a huge monolith.

I honestly don't know why developers even bother trying in Sheffield anymore. People put the place down far too much and cause projects like this to fail through their whinging. Meanwhile, other cities (Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool) reap the benefits.

You should check out the Liverpool waterfront, the mix of old and new looks superb and gets my tourist £££s.

I've tried to imagine and only come up with one view...Broomhall :gag:

How luxurious can ya get...:hihi:

why hold back.if demand for more floors.then add more floors .manchester leeds liverpool all have tall buildings.so why not have some in sheffield?the city is growing in all directions so why not up.get them added the views would be great.im for 36 .:cool:

Over here in Cloud Cuckoo Land, also known as Manchester, we have loads of tourists who come and marvel at Beetham Tower, the way it stands proud above the city and is visible for miles like a huge monolith.

I honestly don't know why developers even bother trying in Sheffield anymore. People put the place down far too much and cause projects like this to fail through their whinging. Meanwhile, other cities (Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool) reap the benefits.

You should check out the Liverpool waterfront, the mix of old and new looks superb and gets my tourist £££s.

Well said....

Im not a Sheffielder by heart, im from Birmingham (maybe thats where i get it from) and they love new projects aswell. Such as selfridges (which i love) The mail box or Radisson Hotel, and of course the new Rotunda. Eventhough i've lived her for 2 years now. I can't be help to think that the vast majority of people in sheffield are reluctant to change.

The one's that do, i support you! :)

Well said....

Im not a Sheffielder by heart, im from Birmingham (maybe thats where i get it from) and they love new projects aswell. Such as selfridges (which i love)

That is a wonderfull building, way to daring for Sheffield though.

High density doesn't bring high levels of crime, pollution or social deprivation. Infact it can have the complete opposite effect.

Crime - people are living closer, so build up more of a communitiy and watch out for each other (although that's not what happens with all these buy to let flats). Also a lot of the large buildings have CCTV, security guards and secure entrances. I'm sure if you were to try stealing a TV from a 20th storey flat it would be MUCH harder than stealing one from a country cottage.

Pollution - high density makes public transport systems much more viable. There would be no point building a high capacity public transport system out to Dore. Not only is a long way from the city centre, there's just not enough people to justify it. It is generally taken that people will walk up to 500m to a public transport hub. 500m from a stop in Dore is only gonna have a population of a few hundred people. (I've got nothing against Dore BTW, I'm just using it as a low density example.

Social Deprivation - social deprivation causes people to live in high density, not the other way round. That's down to the fact that poorer people can't afford large houses. There s a view in the UK that highrises turn into slums. This is down to council flats being high rise & high density. It's obvious in other parts of the world that it is not the case.

Areas of high density are much more vibrant and interesting. If people need to drive to their 'local' pub or shop, it's not gonna survive so well. In densely populated areas there is a much greater demand for facilities (be they shops, restaurants, art galleries, whatever) and so they thrive. This is why for example, the 'suburbs' of Paris are hugely more interesting than those of Pheonix (a great example of everything that is wrong with low density). Business can also thrive in high density areas as there is a large population within a short travel time.