Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

I went to Arundel St chippy in Chap and they were very nice, quite a small portion but well cooked.

Small Portion ? There's plenty of chips for 2 in a portion, the fish is brilliant with a crispy golden batter, not like the soggy batter you get at some chippies. It's my fave chippy in the area.

Small Portion ? There's plenty of chips for 2 in a portion, the fish is brilliant with a crispy golden batter, not like the soggy batter you get at some chippies. It's my fave chippy in the area.

Mate, I had them on a tray and it was a small portion, very very good quality though, I would recommend them.

Two steps Sharrowvale rd

I saw their website. May try that if I am around the Ecclesall Rd area.

I tried The Moor Fisheries and it was nice. :) It is really a restaurant where you can slowly eat your meal. Just had the cod and then mushy peas. The batter was yellow and golden. Not brown like it showed in that top 6 out of the Stars. Which is good. The fish was good and it did flake.

I also tried haddock and peas in The Trawler's Catch on 15 Castle Street. This was really nice too. The portion size was larger compared to the Moor one but they have little sitting, which makes a difference on the price. The girl who served me was quite polite and her customer service was quite good too. I like people who anticipate your needs and is ready to help. :love:

I've been reading the comments on Brenda's in the city centre who uses dripping to make the chips ? I want to check this out ! :D

On a semi-related note. Does anyone know the opening days/times for Four Lanes in Hillsborough?

Okie doke. I tried Two Stops today. Niiice. I got the cod and mushy peas again. The cod is reasonable-ish to be honest at 3.50. Quite large. Happy with that. Then the peas is quite mushy. Nice. :) I think it's a little bit pricier than Trawler's Catch in the city centre but I can deal with that.

I also tried a fish rissole too out of curiosity. Not too impressed with this because I thought that the proper ones were meant to be deep fried and not breadcrumbed. It really is just a fishcake, and not a rissole. It is quite nice, and quite reasonable for the price as well.

One thing I loved about this place was that the coating was yellow and golden, and not brown. If the oil is brown then it does mean that it is almost burnt. But I can understand this as if you use animal fat, then it is more likely to burn too. I do like this place as the batter is indeed lighter. I have to find a place where I can try lard fried fish. I am not 100% convinced yet.

The new fish and chip restaurant Seafayre on Charles Street (the former Castle Market chippy) is well worth a visit. The frying medium is beef dripping, as it should be.

Agreed - Admiral.

Greek ****e

Okie doke. I tried Two Stops today. Niiice. I got the cod and mushy peas again. The cod is reasonable-ish to be honest at 3.50. Quite large. Happy with that. Then the peas is quite mushy. Nice. :) I think it's a little bit pricier than Trawler's Catch in the city centre but I can deal with that.

I also tried a fish rissole too out of curiosity. Not too impressed with this because I thought that the proper ones were meant to be deep fried and not breadcrumbed. It really is just a fishcake, and not a rissole. It is quite nice, and quite reasonable for the price as well.

One thing I loved about this place was that the coating was yellow and golden, and not brown. If the oil is brown then it does mean that it is almost burnt. But I can understand this as if you use animal fat, then it is more likely to burn too. I do like this place as the batter is indeed lighter. I have to find a place where I can try lard fried fish. I am not 100% convinced yet.

Fishcakes are deep fried and rissoles are breadcrumbed in Sheffield