Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

Let me help Whitwell

Yes this is my place lol. There was two but the other shop closed years ago.

chips should be brown, not white.

Good point. Why aren't chips brown and well done anymore?

Good point. Why aren't chips brown and well done anymore?

Most chip shops like mine peel and chip our chips before we open. I peel 8 sacks then chip them and use a "treatment" called ( Drywite). The chips then keep fresh and dry so they cook quicker and don't absorb as much oil. It is suppose to make the Chips healthier as well. The treatment also removes the starch so the chips don't go as brown and keep longer in the chip box of you google drywite it tells you all about it and there is even a cringeworthy video lol

You can't beat a good old Admiral but only the one at Mosborough there fish are hugh and you can tell the chips are fresh not from the previous dinner time and its not all that expensive either.:thumbsup:

Have to disagree with that! Their fish tastes the same as the chips and I once challenged him on the origin of the cod which was grey and chewy and he said it's "the same as cod but not British" whatever that means. Also, buy a large peas off them and a small peas for comparison. The shape of the containers is different but there's no difference in the quantity they hold.

The only chip shop that was worth going to in Mosborough, when I was working in the area up to a couple of years ago, was Tony's on Chapel Street but I've been told it's changed hands recently.

I agree with twinkle seafresh is a good place

Worst fish & chip shop is Arundel Road Fisheries, Chapeltown.

You always have to wait ages, service is soooooo slow ( you'd think they were on a go slow ! ) After waiting, the food isn't that good either.

Tried them several times....... always the same, in fact the last time I walked out after telling them I was fed up of waiting ! :nono:

Have to disagree with that! Their fish tastes the same as the chips and I once challenged him on the origin of the cod which was grey and chewy and he said it's "the same as cod but not British" whatever that means. Also, buy a large peas off them and a small peas for comparison. The shape of the containers is different but there's no difference in the quantity they hold.

The only chip shop that was worth going to in Mosborough, when I was working in the area up to a couple of years ago, was Tony's on Chapel Street but I've been told it's changed hands recently.

Totally agree it's overpriced and warmed up. Never rated Tonys either

Shaws at Killamarsh is always good.

Sorry post deleted.

Edited by Minimo

Did someone think to construct a poll? How many options can you have? 67 pages would be a lot to compile mind you...!!!

I agree with twinkle seafresh is a good place

Or Plaice :hihi:

We do fry in beef dripping yes. We are a 10 minute walk from the train station. I don't know how many more Whitwell's there are lol.

there is a whitwell area in stocksbridge may have been a hamlet at some time

My Favourite places for fish and chips in Sheffield are easily Brenda's in town, New Cod on the Block in Walkley and the one I like the most, Marishell's in Ecclesfield.