Sheffield a great place to live

Most students that move here from other cities to go to Sheffield University, love the city, and many make it their permanent home, after getting their degrees.

That's what I did, I came in 1975 and never left. I liked the old Sheffield better, but I still appreciate being in a city which overlaps a National Park and that I can drive for five minutes and be in the Peak District.

as a newbie-in-transit to Sheffield - after having spent an extended period of just walking the streets (!) I just can't wait to live there. My London is a surly, selfish, egocentric, expensive, rip-off so-called 'Megacity' 'World Capital' etc etc with an ersatz Olympic flame - streets in my area (site of one of the venues) are spouting trees-in-boxes and hanging baskets galore, we really are just painting the facades to glorify the Olympic urban sprucing up which should have been done long ago. To cap it all our only claim to fame - the Earls Court Exhibition Hall (the soul of the area) is to go. The notion of preserving the Art Deco 1937 frontage for a show centre to rival any other in the world at the time, designed by the architect C. Howard Crane, whoose great plan was to create Europe's largest structure by volume was dismissed by the developers (Capita). It is to come down as part of a massive regeneration of the area for which read steel 'n glass towers, 'independent boutiques', 'leisure centre' (aka as a £90 a month membership fitness centre)- a 'feature' in the centre of a gormless 'plaza' and don't forget 'gated communities'. I see Sheffield as a beacon of sanity - a tonic (with the Peaks) for my jaded palate.

Edited by Brin56

That's what I did, I came in 1975 and never left. I liked the old Sheffield better, but I still appreciate being in a city which overlaps a National Park and that I can drive for five minutes and be in the Peak District.

I think one of the problems with Sheffielders is that many take for granted all the fantastic greenery we have in and around the city and just look for the negatives.

Having said that, people won't be able to take advantage of the greenery if they never get off their backsides and travel further than the city centre and/or Meadowhall.

I like to think as a city we have the benefit of two worlds. We have all the major attractions you get with a big city (massive shopping centre, sports stadia, arena etc), but also have the greenery of a countryside/rural town.

Regards

Doom