Driving instructors

Hi back in the early 70s i got free driving lessons through the company i worked for ,whilst driving around if i made a mistake the instructor would hit me on the back of my hand while driving with a wooden 12inch ruler I soon learned to do it right, i wonder if he would get away with it now

Hi back in the early 70s i got free driving lessons through the company i worked for ,whilst driving around if i made a mistake the instructor would hit me on the back of my hand while driving with a wooden 12inch ruler I soon learned to do it right, i wonder if he would get away with it now

Was that Dalebrook School of Motoring or Martin Windle by any chance? I ask because I knew the guy who worked for them who used to carry out that practice.

No cant remember his name but he worked for kennings

No cant remember his name but he worked for kennings

It must have been common practice with driving instructors at that time then.

My Dad was a driving instructor at Kennings around that time. I can’t imagine him doing anything like that but he had a colleague called Charlie White (I think) and it is certainly something he might have done.

Firth Park School of Motoring, early 60s. Was it Jack Darlow?

Any memories?

Can anyone remember the Middlewood school of motoring based on middlewood road in the1970s? I think the shop was painted orange and their cars orange. My instructor was called Martin.

Not with the school of motoring I learned with ,Ted Black
The same driving instructor that taught me taught my daughter a Mr Stapleton who worked for Ted Black

Firth Park school of motoring I passed with them in 63 . Had Ford Anglias then think I remember a Jack

Can anyone remember the Middlewood school of motoring based on middlewood road in the1970s? I think the shop was painted orange and their cars orange. My instructor was called Martin.

m.o.t.a.d.a or something similar used to be based on infirmary road 70s era

Can't for the life of me recall who taught me to drive but he was a one man band; a big chap with a walrus type moustache.

I had 16 lessons, 3 per week Mon, Weds & Friday for 5 weeks spread over 3 months and finally one before my test, in either his Mini saloon or his Mini Pickup (that was an unusual vehicle to learn in!). My instructor would collect me on my arrival at the Midland station and I would set off from there in the teatime rush hour. A baptism by fire! In between time practiced in my Dad's Austin Cambridge.

Twelve weeks after my 17th birthday in 1962 I passed at Sharrow Lane Test Centre. That was a great Christmas present!

Subsequently, less than 3 years later I had a P/T job (evenings & weekends) teaching learners to drive in a Mk 1 Cortina with the Brian Tindall School of Motoring. Brian operated from his house on Richmond Park Road. Anyone remember Brian?

echo.

Edited by echo beach