Base VED on actual emmisions test?

Would it be that difficult?

Just the same as it works now, but with actual readings, so older cars, or faulty engines would cost more.

What happens when a faulty engine gets fixed ?

What happens when a faulty engine gets fixed ?

Your VED charge drops?

Bit regressive isn't it?

The VED for my late 2009 low emissions car is £30. Cost about £6k second hand.

Zero emissions cars with zero VED are well over £10k second hand.

An awful lot of people go car shopping with about £1k. Can you get a low emissions car for £1k?

If it's global warming you're concerned about, then don't forget that the CO2 from building the car is comparable to the CO2 from running it. Also the CO2 from building hybrid and electric cars is a lot higher than building normal cars. So people hanging on to old cars are actually doing more good than harm.

If you're more concerned about air quality than CO2, then it makes some sense. But then you'd have to change the emissions criteria to focus on CO and particulates rather than CO2 as it does now.

That doesn't help with the regressive problem though.

Edited by unbeliever

If a cars got a faulty engine it won't pass the MOT test, so it can't get taxed or used on the road legally.

Well I can't really give an opinion on Gordon Brown here because it might raise my blood pressure too much, but to say that diesel is cleaner than petrol. Amazing, as they say.

Diesel engines have always been filthy, although personally I have always preferred them because of reliability.

Except new ones aren't really know for that anymore either, mainly due to the complex emission control systems they all have fitted.

If a cars got a faulty engine it won't pass the MOT test, so it can't get taxed or used on the road legally.

That all depends on what the fault is and how bad it is.

Well I assume it'd be one that effects emissions, as thats the point of the thread.

Would it be that difficult?

Just the same as it works now, but with actual readings, so older cars, or faulty engines would cost more.

It'd be a nightmare system to administer...

What happens when a faulty engine gets fixed ?[

---------- Post added 19-10-2015 at 19:37 ----------

Your VED charge drops?

As previously said it'd be a nightmare to Administer.

The Government should scrap VED and add an appropriate amount to fuel tax . Then there would be no road tax dodgers , no administration costs for road tax and those who use the roads the most, would pay the most for the privilege .